Notices

Lake Cumberland Advice

Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Cumberland Advice

Heading to Lake Cumberland in a few weeks for the first time (with my family at least). Any recommendations on places to go? Boating spots, restaurants (on and off water), activities? We are staying near Jamestown. Any where I can get a good waterproof map of the lake?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Registered

We keep our cruiser at Jamestown. You are picking the sweet spot for vacation time at the Lake.

You are going to want a map and a handheld GPS to verify where you are on the water, as there are few landmarks. JRM ship store should have the detailed map you are looking for. They also have a pretty decent breakfast buffet and some of the fastest and friendly dock help on the Lake.

Best restraunt and bar on the water is at Lee's Ford. But that is about 45 miles by water from JRM. You may want to take the road to get there, depending
on what you have for a boat. A cool stop on the way in Nancy is the Mills Springs Nartional Cemetary and Civil War Battle Site.

Best restraunt off the lake is Guthurie's outside Somerset. Lake view, great food, a drink, and a pretty decent band on the patio on the weekends.
Best Tex-Mex is the La Gaudalahara (SP) by the Kroger's in Russell Springs. We usually get take-out.

On the Lake, Jack's Branch on Harmon Creek is the spectacle, depending on how old the family is and how much you want to party. The water patrol
hits this area heavily, so put your drink in a cup. Difficulty Creek and Caney Creek are other great spots for tying up close to JRM. 76 Falls is also a decent
day trip, but has trees growing in it now, from the lower water levels with dam reconstruction.

Closest alcohol is in Somerset. We typically stop for supplies at Liquor World off I-75 in Richmond.

Check out lakecumberland.com for a bunch more info on the area.

That's just a start. Have fun.

Last edited by roadtripse; 07-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Registered

Thanks roadtripse! Great information. I'm looking forward to the trip.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 AM
Registered

76 falls does have some trees growing near the banks. but it didn't seam to scare anybody off at the thunder run. saw more old saggy tits than I cared to that day lol.