Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Entry level boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/300239-entry-level-boat.html)

merkfalc 07-24-2013 05:38 PM

I'll be boating with friends and family on lakes from 8500 acres to 139 square miles, lake waco to lake texoma. Wife wants a pontoon, but that just isn't going to cut it. Want to find a boat locally that will run at least 60 and hopefully 70. I want it to be able to be upgraded over time if I like the boat, or the ability to sell it easily if I decide to go bigger, smaller or whatever.

I haven't seen too many bajas that aren't decked out with some over the top graphics or some colorful interior. I like the checkmates, but I don't see them come up too often.

Thinking about a formula 252 BR. Not as fast I want, but I think it would make the wife happier and would allow to move up to a bigger boat in the future.

Questofpower 07-24-2013 06:40 PM

There is no question that powerquest's are great all around boats, I am a little bias though. 260,270 and 280's will all be in the 60-70MPH range, unless they have small power. Twins would be nice, but more expensive to run if you could find a nice 290 that would be a great boat. Here is the bad unless you live in the upper Midwest, mainly MI, WI and IL it is going to be hard to resell a powerquest unless you buy it at the right price.

merkfalc 07-25-2013 03:35 PM

So I have one last question. My wife is concerned that we will buy a boat and then never use cabin area. Is performance boat with two small children a stupid idea? How do y'alls wives and children feel about having a fast boat?

low_psi 07-25-2013 03:45 PM

My wife and daughter love our boat. My daughter has been raised around performance boats.. Our Velocity 260 has a nice sized V-Berth bed for the wife and myself, and we put some cushions to connect the two couches and it makes the couches into a big bed for my daughter. the only time we spend in the cabin is when it is raining, sleeping or using the undersized port-a-potty.... My next boat will be a center console w/small cuddy. THis will actually be down sizing the cuddy part, but it is just a place to sleep... I previously owned an older Baja Force 250. While it was no speed deamon, it would ht 50 with a small block. The cockpit space was HUGE compared to most Performance boats. I truely miss the large cockpit, thats kind of why I am looking for a center consle. So if you like classic looking boats and can find a clean one, the older Baja's were really roomy. They handle big waterpretty good, but again won't be setting any speed records (even with a big block).

zz28zz 07-25-2013 08:59 PM

If you are planning on sleeping in the cabin during the summer in Texas, better have an A/C unit of some sort. Also consider the amount of room in the cabin you will need to sleep 4 and all your stuff. If your not planning on sleeping overnight, a small cabin will be fine.

Also consider financing a boat over 10 years old can be tough.

My wife and daughter love our boat, but doing 50+ and jumping over waves can freak them out if they are not used to it.

Most importantly, take your time and look at a lot of boats. There are a LOT of ragged-out boats out there, but there's also a few gems. Gotta be patient. Look for single owner boats that look sharp. If the prev owner keeps it looking good, they'll probably keep it running good too.

Insist on a test drive. Insist on a survey no matter how good it looks. Shy away from modified engines unless you're 100% SURE they know what they are doing. Look for funny wear patterns on the trailer tires. Make sure wife is happy.. If she's not happy, you won't be happy for long.

regalman4925 07-25-2013 10:25 PM

if you want to stay around the 12k mark, the older Baja sport 250/250 es/270 (all the same hull) are 27' and have allot to offer for the money. there was a amazingly clean one listed on LOTOs craigslist a few weeks ago for 12,900, if I didn't already have mine I would have been all over it, its already sold. there are allot of people on here that will tell you that you can not get a good boat for a small amount of money, if you do your research you can find some great deals. another boat worth looking into, and I know some people may disagree but a older mach 1 29 footer or the envision which is the newer version under a different company name, they may not be the fastest boats on the water but I have to say that they really pack allot of bang for the buck. my buddy has the 29 mach and we take it to the Ozarks for the shootout every year and it gets 6 full size guys around with no issues and plenty of space. I am amazed at the prices they sell for based on what they offer, tons of space for a family but like I said they are not super fast. I would almost call it a performance cruiser? I will say if you can find a single engine 27-29 I think you would be happy and away from wanting a twin since you are already close in size. I have thought about going bigger more time than I can count but for me the large single engine makes the most sense. good luck in your search

machloosy 07-26-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by regalman4925 (Post 3965296)
if you want to stay around the 12k mark, the older Baja sport 250/250 es/270 (all the same hull) are 27' and have allot to offer for the money. there was a amazingly clean one listed on LOTOs craigslist a few weeks ago for 12,900, if I didn't already have mine I would have been all over it, its already sold. there are allot of people on here that will tell you that you can not get a good boat for a small amount of money, if you do your research you can find some great deals. another boat worth looking into, and I know some people may disagree but a older mach 1 29 footer or the envision which is the newer version under a different company name, they may not be the fastest boats on the water but I have to say that they really pack allot of bang for the buck. my buddy has the 29 mach and we take it to the Ozarks for the shootout every year and it gets 6 full size guys around with no issues and plenty of space. I am amazed at the prices they sell for based on what they offer, tons of space for a family but like I said they are not super fast. I would almost call it a performance cruiser? I will say if you can find a single engine 27-29 I think you would be happy and away from wanting a twin since you are already close in size. I have thought about going bigger more time than I can count but for me the large single engine makes the most sense. good luck in your search

I actually agree with this despite being a big formula fan. Also consider the 235 and 265 force. Baja has a reputation for building big cockpits which is where you spend 95% of your time. The difference between the 235 force and 265 force is that the larger has basically the same cabin, but almost 2ft more cockpit space. The 250es is similar. Good old school lines and will run in the mid 50's or low 60's depending on the work done to the bbc. Good luck!

If you are stuck on twins.... A square window (older) formula 272 with 350's and alpha's will run 1000hrs if she gets good maintenance and has a huge cokpit, while being able to sleep you, the wife and both the kids in a pinch. Best part, is that in good running shape, those 350's will run into the 60's and have just a little room to work around. Cheap and easier maintenance

beaver 3 07-26-2013 11:23 AM

I know they're not a big ticket item on this forum but the older pachangas are solid boats, in your price range, and will do most of what you want.

low_psi 07-26-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by beaver 3 (Post 3965531)
I know they're not a big ticket item on this forum but the older pachangas are solid boats, in your price range, and will do most of what you want.

There is a really sharp 27' pachanga w/twins at a marina down the road from me. It is all white with forest green sea ray graphics. While these boats don't appeal to me (style wise) they are solid runners and a nice cross between cruiser and go-fast.

merkfalc 07-26-2013 02:45 PM

Saw this baja on the dallas craigslist.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/3939059223.html

And this pachanga

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...anga-27-357747

The baja seems a little high looking at what all is available. Plus, something that old seems like rot would be a problem.

A member on the board offered up his '96 outlaw for 12K. Seems like a decent price but it doesn't have the mag and it seems like everyone recommends getting the mag motor.

The pachanga seems like a really good deal, but I can never get him on the phone to discuss it so I'm not sure about it.