Notices

It's not just us....

Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Add that to the other 3,328 reasons I will never fish.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

To each their own. That does nothing for me though. I just don't go head over heals for fishing.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have to like fishing but FISHING is what gave you the offshore boats you have today! From the likes of Jim Smith building the fastest fishing boats of his time, Rybovich's running to bimini to catch tuna, then the Merritt's having to build yet a faster, lighter, better turning fish boat - fast foward and you have Bertram, SeaCraft both designed as fishing/utility platforms that used racing to prove their hulls were the best. Not for the desire to get to the fishing grounds first Don Aronow might have never been because maybe the deep-V would be until later and Don would have missed out, he might have raced cars instead??? If his boat was a "Cigarette" what would his car be?

I think people overlook that "offshore racing" was for companies to prove their products, never intended to be a recrational sport like it is today, it evolved like many other things do.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

For the jackpot offered up in that tournament, I'd drive like that too. Why do you guys think bass boats are so fast?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
You don't have to like fishing but FISHING is what gave you the offshore boats you have today! From the likes of Jim Smith building the fastest fishing boats of his time, Rybovich's running to bimini to catch tuna, then the Merritt's having to build yet a faster, lighter, better turning fish boat - fast foward and you have Bertram, SeaCraft both designed as fishing/utility platforms that used racing to prove their hulls were the best. Not for the desire to get to the fishing grounds first Don Aronow might have never been because maybe the deep-V would be until later and Don would have missed out, he might have raced cars instead??? If his boat was a "Cigarette" what would his car be?

I think people overlook that "offshore racing" was for companies to prove their products, never intended to be a recrational sport like it is today, it evolved like many other things do.
Our boats came from fishing boats?...really?....first time Ive ever heard that,...I like the drug smuggling version much better

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 07-25-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Did those original Bertrams and Sea Crafts have twin BBCs? The drug smugglers were the first to put twin BBCs in a big vee with a long flat unobstructed deck, low windshield and cockpit/engine hatch treatment courtesy of Don. That "offshore" layout is where our boats came from and is still going strong today.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

awesome!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Add that to the other 3,328 reasons I will never fish.
smart thinking because fishing is no fun at all
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Did those original Bertrams and Sea Crafts have twin BBCs? The drug smugglers were the first to put twin BBCs in a big vee with a long flat unobstructed deck, low windshield and cockpit/engine hatch treatment courtesy of Don. That "offshore" layout is where our boats came from and is still going strong today.
Are you serious....Look into the real history of Offshore, not the glorified SoFla Drug mules.

http://www.historicraceboats.com/gallery.htm

I'm pretty sure the bottom of "The Cigarette" came off a fish boat, but you would have to ask Brownie....
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bluellama
Are you serious....Look into the real history of Offshore, not the glorified SoFla Drug mules.

http://www.historicraceboats.com/gallery.htm

I'm pretty sure the bottom of "The Cigarette" came off a fish boat, but you would have to ask Brownie....
Very serious. I ask again. Did any of those fish boats have a twin BBC set up? IMO the bottom is only one part of the "Offshore" boat equation as we know it today..

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 07-26-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.