looking for an extra 10 mph >

looking for an extra 10 mph

Notices

looking for an extra 10 mph

Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,107 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Ryan00TJ on OSO and other boards is selling his pump gas 383 (AFR heads, hr cam, etc,etc) that pushed his Challenger to 80MPH with an ALPHA SS.

I bought his drive, but the engine and exhaust are available.

He bought a newer and bigger boat ( Velocity), therefore all his good stuff is for sale.

He's a stand up guy. Have even bought few of his props over the years and recently.

Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to need approx 500 to 550 Hp to get to the mid 70s and that is with your performance /efficient hull.

Unless you are going to supercharge a SB (more torque), a normally aspirated SB will not do the job even a stroker due to the need to keep within the higher peak HP/RPM range that the SB gives and needs to operate in. This will be a problem due to the need to run a higher pitch prop which will drop your RPMs out of the peak HP range such as with a 23 to 25 mirage three blade (high torque needed).

Best bet is to install a BB HP500 or 550EFI with its much higher torque numbers that will allow you to spin a larger pitch/diameter prop. Even a 496 HO will put you nearer to the 70 mark much easier.

IMO and experience (on water GPS testing) with my own 21' SB 320PSHP with light hull 2800lb that runs nearly completely out of the water at 5100rpm and 64mph.
I currently run a 21 Laser but have tried variety of props and sizes and have found that a prop 21 or above on any other prop model other than the Laser has scratched RPMS off and lowered top speeds. Mid range punch was great but top speed went down. Just not enough torque to turn the bigger diameter pitch wheels.

GO BB

Thanks
Old 07-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Something to be said for getting in a boat, turning the key and going out any time you want. There are many that start screwing around with their boats, drives, engines, props, or whatever and the "unreliability gremlin" decides to make your boat a home. I had a 496HO 28' Nordic brand new, wasn't fast at all, 62 most of the time, got 67 somehow once. Started messing with the props, lost cruise, lost this, lost that, gained this at the expense of that, then I starting thinking of a new engine...$$$...then I'd be blowing my drive and all of a sudden I'd be out $$$ and missing boating time during a short summer. Said "Fuk it", there will always be someone who'd pass my boat so fast I'd think I was going backwards...but that would happen no matter what I put in it.

I decided to leave it stock with a blueprinted prop and enjoyed my summers. Eventually I moved up to a PowerPlay which was a totally different class of boat and enjoyed that stock version also. So in the end I'm probably in the minority and will say to leave it be, enjoy your boat anytime you want, then move up some day to a bigger and stronger platform. Even messing with the small stuff, is a couple mph when you're in the 60s really going to change anything?

I guess getting smoked a bunch of times by a massive power OuterLimits or Skater just put things in perspective for me.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

theres a 28 Saber in the Cleveland Oh. craigslist. rock solid real 28 foot hull. and no its not mine.