Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

Darr?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Really? First performance boat? 250k budget?

Buy a 39 Gun and take Tres Martins class three times...
+1
Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right to a 29 OL...here comes another spin out, ejection story.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by krucsd13
I'm looking for a boat between 28-33 ft. to use 90% of the time in salt water and open Pacific Ocean. I've never owned a powerboat but I have driven some. The smaller v bottom's I've driven were extremely rough riding and I honestly didn't enjoy it. That's why I'm thinking I might need a cat but I don't know. I'm looking at the Outerlimits SV29, Skater 28 with twin mercs, Active Thunder 33, Sunsation 32, and Eliminator Eagle's. The small v bottom I drove was no bigger than 22ft so I'm wondering if the bigger V's would be a lot more comfortable. I'm looking for a boat with a good sized fuel tank that will last all day, speeds between 60-90, comfort in the open ocean, good stereo, room under the deck to sit down and take a nap, and under 250 grand. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a very broad topic but please help a newbie out.

-Ken
I'd be happy to build you a 32 Sunsation if you decide to go that route. Gas tank is 145 gallons. 60-90 is no problem with Mercury 525 efi's. I can get you to 80+ with HO's. The room under the deck is comfortable to take a nap or sit. No problem on the stereo.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a couple suggestions given your criteria and your experience level:

1. DO NOT consider a single engine boat for the Pacific Ocean
2. Nothing less then 35 you will not like the ride
3. No cats
4. Stock Mercury power and drives...The 700/6 package is great for a big boat
5. Find a good marina to help take care of the boat, and have someone spend a lot of time with you teaching you how to drive it
6. Enjoy boat, Maintain boat, repeat often!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rfgonzo
If it was me for a first power boat I would stay away from a boat with steps or sponsons go with a straight V bottom.
rite on with that.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenstein
In my opinion, you should re-think the entire thing. You're talking about jumping into something that most people work up to. It's not because of cost, it's because of safety. You have to work up to high performance boats. If you don't, than you just risk everybodies safety, we read about it all the time and it's usually followed by," my thoughts and prayers". So be smart about it, go and buy a nice cruiser style boat that you can nap on, and take it from there. Good luck. P S Is it me or is OSO slows as crap ?

Why?

Just do all the proper steps to do the best. Why keep buying and selling boats and losing money 9/10 times to build up to what you want....that is idiototic.

Buy what you can grow into and what you want. Take Tres's class and take things slow to start. Also take friends out that might have more know how at the moment. No need to keep tossing money around to build up to what you want.

I never understood that. Just use some common sense and take it slow at first.

We are going from a 20' jet boat and a 23' single engine flats CC to a 35' twin step big block Nordic......I have no worries or concerns. I will take my classes, keep the boat slow at first while I get things down and as time goes on ease into it and get the boat doing what it's build to do.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 08-02-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

I just put a Outerlimits 29SV on the market, 600SCi, 100+mph boat, only 25 hours on it.

http://www.performanceboatcenter.com...sp?boat_id=729

Glenn Labor
Performance Boat Center
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Registered

just my .02
buying a high power boat for the first times does not mean folks are stupid or dangerous..
its the ones that don't use there brains(common sense).. yes I understand that goes out the window with so many that think well theres no lanes or traffic lights or speed limits.. whoa
I don't feel sad when I hear a story about accident that should of never happened because the common sense went right out the window..
o that note driving school would be very helpful..
Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Buy what you can and grow into it. Buy what you want and what excites you.

The AT and OL are two different worlds. You need to figure out what you want in a boat. The AT is a SUV, a really nice SUV and the OL is a Ferrari. The OL does not have as much room but is a absolute blast to drive.

A boat is a emotional purchase. It's all about how it makes you feel. Get what you want and don't listen to negative Nellies.

Personally for a ocean boat I would go with a east coast manufacture that has experience testing in the big blue.

MP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.