Yeah, we'll pretty much stick almost 1200 hp in anything that floats >

Yeah, we'll pretty much stick almost 1200 hp in anything that floats

Notices

Yeah, we'll pretty much stick almost 1200 hp in anything that floats

Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You really can't run it wide open. Once you hit about 70 mph, it gets so stupid that you can't push it any harder. The bottom is covered in 1/2" teflon and as smooth as can be. It doesn't have any strakes or skegs to give it any directional stability. It literally wants to start going sideways at 70 mph
Eddie.
sounds like its needs some wings! That thing must be a handful at 70.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasVines
you should come up with a rear mounted, spring loaded fin system for them

it would be mounted on the rear transom so that it does not impact the smoothness of the bottom and it would have springs in it that allow the fins to retract when they meet the resistance of land or a hard object, but the springs are just strong enough that they stay extended when met with the force/resistance of the water....incorporate the steering system with them as well so they help keep the rear end from sliding out in turns

it would be similar to a cheap old school boat speedometer mount only it would be a fin of course with the retraction feature and the steering and it would also have a retract button as well for when the operator does not want it hanging down
That's actually a really good idea. A retractable fin would be easy. Just not sure how you would tie in the steering, or if it would even be necessary. I thought about putting basically the same thing but under the boat closer to the center, like a fin on a flatbottom. You could easily weld in a pocket for it to retract into. The only thing is that these guys actually spend very little time in open water. They are running through the grass, over levees, through the woods, etc. In some cases, they use them like 4 wheelers. We went down some 4 wheeler trails through the woods when I was there. It was a short cut back to the launch, which they don't use by the way. They pull up in the grass, unstrap the boat, put the truck in reverse, step on the gas and go about 10 feet and then slam on the brakes. The boat slides right off the back of the trailer. They lock up the truck, jump in the boat and go. I'm telling you that these dudes are not right.
Eddie
Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie, I keep trying to think about how you could make one of these things more outrageous than you already have but, I'm having a tough time. Your right up there with power with a recip engine, turbine? That's going to be tough, the prop isn't going to like exhaust going though it. Your limited on prop diameter and rpm, so it will only take so much H.P. Your power on a light boat would be a wild ride for sure.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's actually a really good idea. A retractable fin would be easy. Just not sure how you would tie in the steering, or if it would even be necessary. I thought about putting basically the same thing but under the boat closer to the center, like a fin on a flatbottom. You could easily weld in a pocket for it to retract into. The only thing is that these guys actually spend very little time in open water. They are running through the grass, over levees, through the woods, etc. In some cases, they use them like 4 wheelers. We went down some 4 wheeler trails through the woods when I was there. It was a short cut back to the launch, which they don't use by the way. They pull up in the grass, unstrap the boat, put the truck in reverse, step on the gas and go about 10 feet and then slam on the brakes. The boat slides right off the back of the trailer. They lock up the truck, jump in the boat and go. I'm telling you that these dudes are not right.
Eddie
I had thought about under the hull at first as well with a pocket to retract into. but I believe the issue with that is all the crap that would get wedged/lodged in that pocket.....dirt and sand and little pebbles ect and eventually the fin would be stuck in there and not come back out and also that pocket even if small could create a lot of suction area/area to interfere with sliding smoothly

if it was on the transom the pocket could be located just above the edge of the transom (vs flush with the bottom edge) and then it is only the fin hanging down exposed to whatever the boat is crossing

as for the steering it could be like a lower unit on a boat except of course no prop and no drive gear and the skeg retracts up into the unit upon contact with hard objects or upon "request" of the operator

and yea I live "next door" to Louisiana (currently WAY west of the border though), but in Texas we have what is called "east Texans" to keep the people from Louisiana from spreading too far into Texas haha

didn't you get your start in coonass country when you were the "builder" for two "marketing guys" and people on this forum were giving you a hard time about if your engines would last?.......then you moved away from the "marketing guys" when they went strange and went on your own.....and now here you are
Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outriggers
Eddie, I keep trying to think about how you could make one of these things more outrageous than you already have but, I'm having a tough time. Your right up there with power with a recip engine, turbine? That's going to be tough, the prop isn't going to like exhaust going though it. Your limited on prop diameter and rpm, so it will only take so much H.P. Your power on a light boat would be a wild ride for sure.
with a turbine you would just use the airplane blades like on a plane with a jet engine....I think the issue with that would be burning up the forest/swamp behind you as you put off the turbine heat

and as for how you get more outrageous....quad 600 HP engines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho0ZF8xuoH0
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the turbine aircraft engines and props would be well suited for this. The last aircraft turbine prop engine I ran over 1100 horsepower the prop was about 8 feet in diameter. Your right the exhaust heat would be a big problem.

Last edited by outriggers; 08-20-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Eddie
You wouldn't happen to be doing this project for the Robertson's in LA would you? ....sounds like the same M.O. right down to the camo and "these dudes are not right"
Old 08-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

This is pretty cool for sure.

You are able to get 1,200 HP with a 4 litre whipple at 10lbs of boost? That is pretty incredible by itself. would have thought it would take a 5 litre around 12 lbs of boost to see that kind of power.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexasVines
I had thought about under the hull at first as well with a pocket to retract into. but I believe the issue with that is all the crap that would get wedged/lodged in that pocket.....dirt and sand and little pebbles ect and eventually the fin would be stuck in there and not come back out and also that pocket even if small could create a lot of suction area/area to interfere with sliding smoothly

if it was on the transom the pocket could be located just above the edge of the transom (vs flush with the bottom edge) and then it is only the fin hanging down exposed to whatever the boat is crossing

as for the steering it could be like a lower unit on a boat except of course no prop and no drive gear and the skeg retracts up into the unit upon contact with hard objects or upon "request" of the operator

and yea I live "next door" to Louisiana (currently WAY west of the border though), but in Texas we have what is called "east Texans" to keep the people from Louisiana from spreading too far into Texas haha

didn't you get your start in coonass country when you were the "builder" for two "marketing guys" and people on this forum were giving you a hard time about if your engines would last?.......then you moved away from the "marketing guys" when they went strange and went on your own.....and now here you are
I'm going to talk with the owner and see just how much they use the boat in open water. Obviously, if they aren't in open water that much, then there really isn't a need for the retractable fin.

As for the rest of it, you are pretty much on the money. I was born and raised in New Orleans and lived there for 35 years. I did work down there with what was supposed to be a "partner" but it was never any kind of partnership. That's why I left. I didn't like the way things were going and where they were heading and wanted to get out before it went south. I had the opportunity to come to Nashville and start over and I took it. It was the best thing I ever did for myself, my wife and 2 children.
Eddie
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
You wouldn't happen to be doing this project for the Robertson's in LA would you? ....sounds like the same M.O. right down to the camo and "these dudes are not right"
No, it's not for the Robertson's. Is there a Kevin Robertson? This guys last name is Fortier.
It just so happens that there are a bunch of guys down there that "aren't right"

Originally Posted by Don Johnson
This is pretty cool for sure.

You are able to get 1,200 HP with a 4 litre whipple at 10lbs of boost? That is pretty incredible by itself. would have thought it would take a 5 litre around 12 lbs of boost to see that kind of power.
You have to remember that this is a 598 with pretty decent sized cnc heads. The 4L is an awesome blower. I think it's one of , if not the best blower they build. The same engine with a 5L, a little more cam and 12 psi of boost with be all over 1300 hp.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.