Cost of adding a generator and A/C

Notices

Cost of adding a generator and A/C

Old 08-04-2002, 08:17 PM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cost of adding a generator and A/C

Does anybody know what it would cost to add a generator and/or A/C to a boat? Where can you buy a generator from? I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle. I already have a portable Krusin Kool air conditioner. I was thinking that it would be nice to add a generator. And I might as well look into adding A/C while I'm at it.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 5000 BTU unit in my 38' it works fine, It is a cruise air brand. I just bought a Honda generator 2000w portable it works great and will do the air too. Its very quiet also, I just set it on the swim platform and connect a line to the power input. I just have to keep the water heater off while running. I think the air installed was about 3500. It was "thrown in" to make the deal go when I bought the boat.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Registered

I installed a Mermaid Marine Air (I think it's a 5200 btu) unit on my boat. My particular installation wasn't as easy as other boats I've done, but generally speaking, it's not a bad job with a little planning. www.mmair.com is the web address. I installed an invertor to run the electrical system (including the air) while running up the lake.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey crazy horse, what size inverter did you use ? And it runs the air with no problem ? I assume it only works while the boat is running to keep bateries charged ? Thanks
Old 08-05-2002, 07:04 AM
Registered

it would have to be one hell of an inverter to run that many watts. Probably weighs as much as a generator...
Old 08-05-2002, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cost........????

About 5-7 MPH.....
Old 08-05-2002, 07:39 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my 28', I run a 5000 BTU MarineAir "Cabin Mate" unit on a 2000 watt inverter. The A/C and the inverter each weigh about 40 pounds. I also installed two Group 31 house power batteries that weigh about 90 pounds apiece, but they will keep it going for about 1 1/2 hours with the engine off.

While a decent A/C system (depending on the size) will set you back about $2k-$3k including installation (ductwork, etc.), the genny could get a bit more salty, especially if you do not already have a 110AC wiring system in place. Good names are Kohler and Westerbeke. Figure more like $5k properly installed.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:38 AM
bn
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have shore power, so that will help a little.

Raypanic - do you bring a gas can with you? I thought that those gens only ran for about 4 - 5 hours on a tank full.

I am more interested in having the generator installed since I already have the portable a/c unit.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Registered

Check out the following links. Never bought anything from them, but they have some of the best prices I've found.
http://www.mabru.net/
http://www.genairsystems.com/fsair.htm
Gary
Old 08-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

I'm running a 3500 watt invertor and I run it off the existing batteries. The Mermaid air unit only draws a few amps (the website has all the specs for all the units) so while I'm running the engines I'm golden. The batteries run the boat for a couple hours when the engines are off. I'll look up the website for the invertors when I get home from work.

Quick Reply: Cost of adding a generator and A/C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.