Boat resale value...Merc Racing 500 EFI VS. Custom build

Notices

Boat resale value...Merc Racing 500 EFI VS. Custom build

Old 08-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
I would love to be able to afford to send it to Eddie and thought seriously about it, but dont think I can swing it. With this other motor the tattletale will likely be about 10 clicks higher
Have you spoken to him ? Yes , I understand the ten clicks we all have that disease .

Last edited by the deep; 08-22-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can relate... Had many questions about the motor that was in my last boat. Why is it new, why did you put a blower on it, whats the reason for the big oil cooler, was it over heating because I see you put cross over cooling and no circ pump, why this, why that! and many wanted "Stock Merc Power" and moved on. To me the motor was built bigger better and louder than any stock power I ever had in a boat and ran better than any stok motors i have had. Turn key for many hours. Some people have a "factory" mind set and I hate to say it but they sell quicker than "built" set-ups in my mind.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

You have everything to make a 600+ pkg. Alum heads andvsome other odds snd ends you will have what looks like a stock 500efi and runs like a built up hot rod. All on 87 octane.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts

The reliability of turn key stock power is hard to beat.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
Have you spoken to him ? Yes , I understand the ten clicks we all have that disease .
Yes Sam, I spoke with him and about a couple different options.

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
You have everything to make a 600+ pkg. Alum heads andvsome other odds snd ends you will have what looks like a stock 500efi and runs like a built up hot rod. All on 87 octane.
Yea...for $10k+ with new heads/valve train, throttle body, intake porting, upgraded fuel system..

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
The reliability of turn key stock power is hard to beat.
I'm not overly impressed with the "turn key" reliability mine had to be honest.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I sorta agree on some Aluminum heads, cam, and rebuild what you have. I don't think you need to many extras. If you want more then what a rebuild, heads, and cam give you then add a procharger later on. But in all reality you will HATE life when you start blowing outdrives. And there really isn't a perfect outdrive solution, especially for a single engine V. So rebuild what you have for not a lot of money, if you can add a little more power great, but just remember you WILL start wearing outdrives out faster and faster with more power. Slow on the lake is better then fast and broke at the dock!

Yes people like STOCK blue and they will never know if you "jerry rig" your current stock blue internally and then sell it, even though that's not the right thing to do, but its no different then fixing a wrecked car yourself and it never shows on "carfax" but some people ONLY buy what the magical Carfax says!

I personally love built up modified custom etc!

Best bet is to spend the least amount, or a tiny bit more because overall its the best bang for the buck. Because like most boaters you will want to upgrade boats or HP again, prob sooner then later. So whatever extra you dump into the boat now you prob wont get back out of it anyways.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
If its an unmolested 500efi never opened up its worth a lot more to most boaters. People are blue motor crazy and will pay top dollar for what they think is the best turn key solution. I feel differently but I am the minority. That being said if you have anyone other than a big name shop go through your 500 then it's the same as the custom build with a lot of unknowns
This man knows what he is talking about. Rebuild the 500!!! It will be cheap, reliable, and have best resale value. Never in boating do you get all 3!!!! Take it!!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

well you are asking about resale so I think the most important issue would be who is buying the boat. a majority of the buyers are not on this site and have no idea who Chief, Zul, Sterling, Eikert etc are. they look at the boat and know who Mercury is and where the local Mercury dealer is so they feel comfortable with the name. if you are truly worried about resale then rebuild the HP500, if you are going to keep the boat for years go with who you feel comfortable with.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
This man knows what he is talking about. Rebuild the 500!!! It will be cheap, reliable, and have best resale value. Never in boating do you get all 3!!!! Take it!!
Wait a minute son..... You left out speed, dry exhaust, and a bad azz rooster tail..... These are the 3 things that are most important in a offshore performance boat.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I looked into repowering my Kachina I thought about trading for something with the power I was seeking vs repowering & was told that my boat with stock power would bring more than custom power. I decided to repower & keep what I am already familiar with. My engines are not big name power but they aren't Billy Bobs backyard specials either. I had a couple of teething pains first thing,(sending unit issues). I have been spending time dialing in props this summer & am close I believe now. I guess my point is I decided to keep what I have, fix it up for me & enjoy it & I have been doing so all summer long. I also have to give thanks to many members on here for advice, etc. I know I will never get money wise anything near what I have in the boat but enjoyment wise, It's only gas money. BTW I went from 70mph to as of yesterday 86mph on my gps speedo. Randy

Last edited by Randy Nielsen; 08-22-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.