Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Check this site before going swimming! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/302376-check-site-before-going-swimming.html)

LubeJobs42 09-02-2013 10:38 AM

Check this site before going swimming!

Pretty cool site. Since I was a kid I was always intrigued with sharks. This site tracks tagged sharks. Pretty interesting.

http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

FIXX 09-02-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3987201)
Pretty cool site. Since I was a kid I was always intrigued with sharks. This site tracks tagged sharks. Pretty interesting.

too bad it dont show radiation poisoning off the ca coast!! lol

Smarty 09-02-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 3987201)

That is a very interesting site. I clicked on a few of the sharks, but the one that caught my attention, after just randomly clicking on the shark dot was "Mary Lee." This shark has traveled all over, from Florida along the coastal Georgia & Carolina(s) then up to Massachusetts (including a trip to Bermuda), then back south again due east from the Georgia-Florida border.

But what caught my attention to this 16' long, 3,400 lb shark (Great White) was the fact it spent much of time near the Georgia, South & North Carolina shoreline. Just some big-ass shark swimming along, we never know it is there (the layperson). On a rainy Labor Day this is the way I am killing time? Looking at a sharks travel path. I must really be bored. Interesting site Gino.

KRAUSMOTORSPORTS 09-02-2013 01:56 PM

Pretty cool!

Young Performance 09-02-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3987252)
That is a very interesting site. I clicked on a few of the sharks, but the one that caught my attention, after just randomly clicking on the shark dot was "Mary Lee." This shark has traveled all over, from Florida along the coastal Georgia & Carolina(s) then up to Massachusetts (including a trip to Bermuda), then back south again due east from the Georgia-Florida border.

But what caught my attention to this 16' long, 3,400 lb shark was the fact it spent much of time near the Georgia, South & North Carolina shoreline. Just some big-ass shark swimming along, we never know it is there (the layperson). On a rainy Labor Day this is the way I am killing time? Looking at a sharks travel path. I must really be bored. Interesting site Gino.

Hard to believe that a Great White is cruising that close to shore like that and no one has a clue.
Eddie

Comanche3Six 09-02-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3987281)
Hard to believe that a Great White is cruising that close to shore like that and no one has a clue.
Eddie

Yes

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...51495398,d.cWc

ratman 09-02-2013 03:46 PM

that site only tracks great whites, bull sharks are a much bigger problem in fl waters

Smarty 09-02-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Young Performance (Post 3987281)
Eddie

It is hard to believe, or let me rephrase for me, I honestly do not want to know where the shark is because I may never get in the water again....but I will...

I like the ocean, I like the bay, I used to spend time in the water clamming, as a child/teenager/and adult (recreationally) sometimes behind Brigintine, NJ in the back bays for years (I mean I am in the water feeling for clams with my feet and hands in). So I had respect for the water, but a not a fear of the water, but when I see a path like the shark took, I do get second thoughts...The bravado of my youth is shrinking....

I really want to know where the Bullsharks are, since that species seems to be able to adapt to freshwater (based on information the those fishing shows - Fresh Water Monsters-extreme anglars I watch at night).

Now if I were to see a shark as far north in the Delaware River as far north as Penn's Landing (the heart of Philadelphia on the river), or in the C&D Canal near the Chesapeake Inn (Chesapeake City, MD), now that would make my eyes wide...both locations are freshwater

Smarty 09-02-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ratman (Post 3987298)
that site only tracks great whites, bull sharks are a much bigger problem in fl waters

It does track Bullsharks, Mako, Blue, and Great White sharks. There is a Bullshark named Sabrina on this site, and it looks to me like it is swimming in areas where there may be bathers (people swimming). And on the other side of Florida is another Bullshark named Lori Anne near West Palm Beach but it looks like this shark just swims along the Florida shoreline, especially from Sanibel to St. Petersburg....

I regret having looked at this site, my mind will always wonder now, how close is that shark to me when I am in the water, but I am still going in the water....I will take my chances, I just won't swim in chum, and I will use some common sense.

POWERPLAY J 09-02-2013 07:15 PM

Cool find Gino! Checked it before heading to the lake today. All clear...:drink:

ratman 09-02-2013 08:20 PM

my step brother caught a 10 ft bull shark right off sandy point beach near the bay bridge night fishing in a 12 boston whaler...about 27 years ago

VtSteve 09-02-2013 08:43 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I hate jumping in the water knowing there are fish/mammals, most anything with great big razor teeth.

POWERPLAY J 09-02-2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ratman (Post 3987417)
my step brother caught a 10 ft bull shark right off sandy point beach near the bay bridge night fishing in a 12 boston whaler...about 27 years ago

My bro inlaw got bumped pretty good off Marco. **** happens when you enter another creatures domain...

Smarty 09-02-2013 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures from the website of the shark called "Mary Lee", this is one big f*ckin fish! I would not want to be in the water when that beast is near.

compedgemarine 09-02-2013 10:36 PM

if you really knew you would never get in the water again. I have flown in choppers along the coast several times and looked down at people in the water with sharks swimming several feet from them. we flew down the coast line from panama city to biloxi and saw dozens of sharks, huge schools of sting rays and dolphins all with in 20 feet of shore. there were not many people in the water at that time but there were some near the sting rays and the rays would come within a few feet of the swimmers. there was a picture years ago off a Texas beach and there were six or seven sharks swimming between the people in the water in about 3 feet of water depth.

Smarty 09-02-2013 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 3987508)
if you really knew you would never get in the water again. I have flown in choppers along the coast several times and looked down at people in the water with sharks swimming several feet from them. .

That is not very reassuring....but I do believe you, and have heard similar reports....can't live in fear, but we (I) still need to use good judgment and common sense when swimming in salt-water. I am not sure what the likelihood of getting attacked by a shark, or killed by a shark, cannot be that high, I cannot remember the last time someone was attacked by a shark in New Jersey waters so I will continue to enjoy the ocean and bays, and just hope I am not fish food.

VtSteve 09-02-2013 10:58 PM

It would suck just a part of you being shark food.

I mean really, really, really suck. It happens far more often than published. JAWS

Formulabill 09-02-2013 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3987502)
Here are pictures from the website of the shark called "Mary Lee", this is one big f*ckin fish! I would not want to be in the water when that beast is near.

That shark was caught less than a mile from Jacksonville shoreline .Anytime you fly low over the coast you see the sharks only yards away from the swimmers. Hence I don't swim in the ocean anymore.

Smarty 09-02-2013 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Formulabill (Post 3987514)
That shark was caught less than a mile from Jacksonville shoreline .Anytime you fly low over the coast you see the sharks only yards away from the swimmers. Hence I don't swim in the ocean anymore.

If you had me up in the plane and I saw first hand what you are describing, I know the only time I would set foot in the water again is when it would when it is chlorinated ie the swimming pool. A shark that big caught less than a mile from the shoreline is troubling to me.

Comanche3Six 09-02-2013 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3987517)
If you had me up in the plane and I saw first hand what you are describing, I know the only time I would set foot in the water again is when it would when it is chlorinated ie the swimming pool. A shark that big caught less than a mile from the shoreline is troubling to me.

Smarty
I'm sure you remember this.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...51495398,d.dmg

compedgemarine 09-03-2013 12:07 AM

I have been diving in the bahamas with several big sharks within view. I never really worried about them as they dont seem to bother people unless there is something to rile them up. I was more worried about the barracuda that kept following us. sharks are fasinating creatures and not nearly as primative as most believe. the only filmed case of a killer whale attacking and killing a great white was off san francisco a year or so ago. the killer whale went after the great white and tore it apart and ate it's liver, all on film. the interesting part was that it is an area were great whites congregate during that time of year and several are tagged. the following day there was not one shark any where along that area of the coast. one of the tagged sharks headed west within an hour of the attack and went very deep and stayed there till it reached the Hawaiian islands. the sharks all knew almost instantly that the area was unsafe with the killer whale attack and all hauled azz out of the area.

Smarty 09-03-2013 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 3987521)

I do remember that now that you posted it. When was the last time someone was attacked in NJ waters, or killed by a shark in NJ waters? That I don't remember, maybe my brain does not want me to remember because if I do then maybe my ole brain will not want to be in saltwater and be shark-bait.

All this is rather moot, I only went in the ocean swimming once this year, so statistically I cannot be that high of risk of getting attacked by a shark. But these sightings and the electronic monitoring of these tagged sharks does make me wonder, how close I have been to sharks. I must admit, I did worry some days when I was young and I was clamming in three to four feet of water (up to my chest) of getting attacked, or stepping on a ray's barb.

Comanche3Six 09-03-2013 12:36 AM

I swim in the ocean for about an hour almost every nice day. Love it. Seals in the swimming area, that's trouble.

Jupiter Sunsation 09-03-2013 10:04 AM

I used to go to Ormond Beach (just north of Daytona, Volusia county is sharkbite capital of the USA). Idiots would fish right off the beach, the water is cloudy (red sand on beaches) and the sharks confuse people with fish due to the cloudy water. I paddled a borrowed kayak with my daughter out 300-400 ft to an anchored sailboat since we could see dolphins nearby.....guy on the sailboat sternly told me to paddle cautiously back to shore immediately. I replied we just came out to look at the dolphins and he responded there are "dozens of other "finned predators" here now also!" It was a quick but careful paddle back to shore.........

On Singer Island last year a kid reeled in a 12 ft Hammerhead onto the beach.....another was caught years earlier within sight of the inlet (1100 lbs, almost 14 ft). Scarier part is Peanut Island is 500 ft off the inlet channel where thousands of people are in the water all weekend!

For those of you that have been to the Islamorada Sand bar.....that is a huge shark fishing area for the local fishing guides. Charter a flats boat and they take you to the sand bar area!

Jupiter Sunsation 09-03-2013 10:08 AM

How about Kite Boarding......having fun until a shark grabs you off your board while skimming the water at 30 mph! Shark grabbed him by the azz, didn't even see it coming!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...erous-s/nL3bd/

Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

HUTCHINSON ISLAND —

A Martin County Sheriff's Office report released this morning said the 38-year-old man who died of a possible shark attack off Stuart Beach on Wednesday had an 8- to 10-inch bite on his right thigh and numerous teeth marks on his right and left buttocks.

The report also said Stephen Howard Schafer had bruising inside his right arm, and his right hand had wounds that could have occurred as he tried to fight off a shark.

Schafer was kiteboard surfing south of Stuart Beach at about 4:15 p.m. when lifeguard Daniel Lund looking through binoculars spotted him floating about a quarter-mile offshore in an unguarded stretch of ocean.

The lifeguard paddled to him on a rescue board. He saw blood in the water and said Schafer was screaming that a shark had bit him. Lund began swimming back to shore with the victim in tow, the report said.

Schafer was talking to Lund as they swam, but eventually stopped.

Rescue workers gave Schafer CPR before paramedics brought him to Martin Memorial Medical Center, where he died.

Schafer was in a good mood Sunday, sharing a warm conversation over dinner with his mother and stepfather and making plans for the future.

Schafer's stepfather Edwin Cox on Thursday said it was the last time he saw Schafer before his death.

"His mother had just talked to him yesterday," Cox said. "We were supposed to have dinner again last night."

Cox said Schafer's mother, Kathryn Cox, was distraught over her son's death and declined to make any comment.

It is still unclear what type of shark may have been responsible for Schafer's death, but experts say it is likely one of the larger species known to inhabit South Florida waters such as a bull, tiger or even a white shark.

George Burgess, keeper of the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History said early this morning he was trying to reach Martin County authorities to get more details on the incident.

It is the first shark attack death in Florida waters since 2005.

Burgess said he didn't want to guess on the exact type of shark involved without more details, but that considering the attack was fatal, it's unlikely it was some of the smaller sharks more common to South Florida waters such as the spinner or black tip.

"Those are the species involved in the occasional nips off the east coast, especially in Volusia County, but they are not man-eaters," Burgess said. "If, indeed, the gentleman yesterday was bitten by sharks, it's far more likely it was a larger species such as a bull or a tiger, or a white shark if it was in the area."

Burgess said white sharks typically don't make it much further south than Jacksonville because of they like the cooler water temperatures.

"The white shark is indeed in the area, or conceivably could be, but they are very irregular visitors," Burgess said.

The Martin County Sheriff's Office was investigating the death, said sheriff's Capt. Mark McKinley.

"I've been here 25 years," McKinley said. "To my knowledge, this is the first shark-related fatality we've seen."

In fact, Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie counties have all escaped fatal shark attacks until now, according to the International Shark Attack File.

According to reports this morning, authorities have re-opened Stuart Beach to the public.

In addition, schools of sharks were seen off Palm Beach this morning. There were easily more than a hundred in the water off Reef Road, according to reports.

No beaches are reported to be closed.

Schafer's friends told TCPalm.com they are shocked by his death.

"I've never heard of multiple sharks in this area surrounding someone and fatally wounding him," said the victim's childhood friend, Teague Taylor, 36. "He was the nicest person ever."

On Tuesday, the day before the fatal attack, Taylor told TCPalm.com he was surfing near where his friend was attacked and he saw several sharks.

"You always think in the back of your mind that they (sharks) are out there," he said.

Jordan Schwartz, who has known Schafer for five years, told TCPalm.com that Schafer was a very experienced kiteboard surfer.

"He was a super nice guy. Always mellow. I don't think he had any enemies," he said.

Sharks have been gathering along Palm Beach County beaches recently in their annual chase of baitfish, Palm Beach County Ocean Rescue Lt. Don May said last week when a hammerhead shark was caught off Ocean Reef Park.

Lemon, bull and hammerhead sharks often are seen off area beaches this time of year, Palm Beach County Ocean Rescue Lt. Don May said.

Jupiter Sunsation 09-03-2013 10:18 AM

Guy catches a 11 ft Hammerhead off the beach, then drags it back into chest deep water to release it! While I applaud the conservation aspect, not sure I would want to drag it back in the water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sfTcw22dE

Comanche3Six 09-03-2013 11:29 AM

Catmando's brother in law got this one on video off NJ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeBGvaH0x8

Smarty 09-03-2013 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 3987710)

I saw that when it was on the news (Philly news station, I live 12 miles from Philly). My relatives are sport fisherman, and they tell me some shark stories, wild stuff.

Waterboy123 09-03-2013 01:59 PM

Bullsharks are a real issue where we used to live in Australia, the canals are infested with them, not nice, they are even in our golf course lakes...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObIbFxaSm08

Smarty 09-03-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 3987522)
I. the interesting part was that it is an area were great whites congregate during that time of year and several are tagged. the following day there was not one shark any where along that area of the coast. one of the tagged sharks headed west within an hour of the attack and went very deep and stayed there till it reached the Hawaiian islands. the sharks all knew almost instantly that the area was unsafe with the killer whale attack and all hauled azz out of the area.

Those sharks are some some very smart ass fish, I guess thousands upon thousands of years of survival they should be pretty smart. I am like most people, fascinated about all types of fish and living creatures where we (humans) could be that shark's, polar bear, lion, or whatever's meal. We all want to survive, and know what the inherent risks are when we go in the water. Very interesting thread, I do like the first hand observation posts, great stuff.

Comanche3Six 09-03-2013 02:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9Pkf75yX0

Smarty 09-03-2013 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ratman (Post 3987417)

Is that the Bay Bridge in Maryland (I assume it is) ? I guess he did not get rockfish - striper that day. That 10' fish would drag that Whaler around pretty good, that must have been pretty wild.

Smarty 09-03-2013 02:29 PM

My Favorite Shark

1 Attachment(s)
My favorite shark, this shark just looks mean! Just look it at it jumping out of the water...

compedgemarine 09-03-2013 08:39 PM

here is a short video of the killer whale and great white in california. the narrator is annoying but still tells the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS6NjdGLVZs

LubeJobs42 09-03-2013 09:15 PM

I am a huge animal lover but I see no point in putting these monsters back in the water. I'm sure there are a bunch of scientific reasons to preserve sharks but if it was up to me, I could do with out them. At least pull their teeth out before setting them free!:D

vette131 09-04-2013 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six (Post 3987710)

love the t shirt!!

Comanche3Six 06-24-2015 02:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3XpH99eCk

ItsPeanut 06-25-2015 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Formulabill (Post 3987514)

Ever since i read an article about them catching and tagging that great white Mary Lee off of Jax beach a couple years ago Im a regular to this site. Its absolutely amazing the distances they cover. Apparently she came about 200 yards from shore. Watch your toes.