Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Check this site before going swimming! >

Check this site before going swimming!

Notices

Check this site before going swimming!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check this site before going swimming!

Pretty cool site. Since I was a kid I was always intrigued with sharks. This site tracks tagged sharks. Pretty interesting.

http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/
Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Pretty cool site. Since I was a kid I was always intrigued with sharks. This site tracks tagged sharks. Pretty interesting.

too bad it dont show radiation poisoning off the ca coast!! lol
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42

That is a very interesting site. I clicked on a few of the sharks, but the one that caught my attention, after just randomly clicking on the shark dot was "Mary Lee." This shark has traveled all over, from Florida along the coastal Georgia & Carolina(s) then up to Massachusetts (including a trip to Bermuda), then back south again due east from the Georgia-Florida border.

But what caught my attention to this 16' long, 3,400 lb shark (Great White) was the fact it spent much of time near the Georgia, South & North Carolina shoreline. Just some big-ass shark swimming along, we never know it is there (the layperson). On a rainy Labor Day this is the way I am killing time? Looking at a sharks travel path. I must really be bored. Interesting site Gino.

Last edited by Smarty; 09-02-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Great White added
Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty cool!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
That is a very interesting site. I clicked on a few of the sharks, but the one that caught my attention, after just randomly clicking on the shark dot was "Mary Lee." This shark has traveled all over, from Florida along the coastal Georgia & Carolina(s) then up to Massachusetts (including a trip to Bermuda), then back south again due east from the Georgia-Florida border.

But what caught my attention to this 16' long, 3,400 lb shark was the fact it spent much of time near the Georgia, South & North Carolina shoreline. Just some big-ass shark swimming along, we never know it is there (the layperson). On a rainy Labor Day this is the way I am killing time? Looking at a sharks travel path. I must really be bored. Interesting site Gino.
Hard to believe that a Great White is cruising that close to shore like that and no one has a clue.
Eddie
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Hard to believe that a Great White is cruising that close to shore like that and no one has a clue.
Eddie
Yes

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...51495398,d.cWc

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 09-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that site only tracks great whites, bull sharks are a much bigger problem in fl waters
Old 09-02-2013, 03:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Eddie
It is hard to believe, or let me rephrase for me, I honestly do not want to know where the shark is because I may never get in the water again....but I will...

I like the ocean, I like the bay, I used to spend time in the water clamming, as a child/teenager/and adult (recreationally) sometimes behind Brigintine, NJ in the back bays for years (I mean I am in the water feeling for clams with my feet and hands in). So I had respect for the water, but a not a fear of the water, but when I see a path like the shark took, I do get second thoughts...The bravado of my youth is shrinking....

I really want to know where the Bullsharks are, since that species seems to be able to adapt to freshwater (based on information the those fishing shows - Fresh Water Monsters-extreme anglars I watch at night).

Now if I were to see a shark as far north in the Delaware River as far north as Penn's Landing (the heart of Philadelphia on the river), or in the C&D Canal near the Chesapeake Inn (Chesapeake City, MD), now that would make my eyes wide...both locations are freshwater

Last edited by Smarty; 09-02-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ratman
that site only tracks great whites, bull sharks are a much bigger problem in fl waters
It does track Bullsharks, Mako, Blue, and Great White sharks. There is a Bullshark named Sabrina on this site, and it looks to me like it is swimming in areas where there may be bathers (people swimming). And on the other side of Florida is another Bullshark named Lori Anne near West Palm Beach but it looks like this shark just swims along the Florida shoreline, especially from Sanibel to St. Petersburg....

I regret having looked at this site, my mind will always wonder now, how close is that shark to me when I am in the water, but I am still going in the water....I will take my chances, I just won't swim in chum, and I will use some common sense.

Last edited by Smarty; 09-02-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool find Gino! Checked it before heading to the lake today. All clear...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.