Lost a bearing on the highway >

Lost a bearing on the highway

Notices

Lost a bearing on the highway

Old 08-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost a bearing on the highway

To make long story short I lost a bearing on the way home from the river on Sunday, ended up in a truck rest area for about 8 hours until a buddy of mine could hunt down a bearing for me, anyway just want to let you all know that if you ever break down, get to a truck stop, I met some of the nicest people wanting to help out, Even had a offer of somehow getting the trailer onto a flat bed tractor for a lift home. Besides all the people on this board I'm glad there are a few good people left in this world that would lend a helping hand. Thanks to all the drivers I met last night.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry you broke down, but it's nice to know there's people willing to go out of their way to help.
I'll keep that in mind.
Glad you made it back ok.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Registered

Mike THAT SUCKS! Glad you had some help though. Couldn't nurse it home with one wheel of hugh?
Old 08-05-2002, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn Mike, That sucks!
Sorry to hear it...Just another adventure, right?
Are you sure it wasn't one of those 'other side' rest stops?
Old 08-05-2002, 03:16 PM
CRUBOSS

EVERYBODY WORKS ON THE BOAT AND ENGINE. BUT FEW REMEMBER TO MAINTAIN THE TRAILER. YOU CAN DIP A TRAILER ONLY SO MANY TIMES BEFORE THE WATER EATS THE GREASE

Old 08-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Registered

Shane, was thinking about it but once I dropped it down without the tire it didn't look good, don't think I would have made it on 3 wheels, so for now on I will carry a extra set of bearing in my tool box.

Nicky whazzzz----up dude!
Old 08-05-2002, 04:47 PM
straycat

Unhappy

Sorry to hear your misfortune, and we have been there a few times ourselves. Finally figured out the best way is to keep a full setup of bearings and hub and all greased up ready to go wrapped in shrink plastic. Even if you lose a braked axle, you can still use the brgs. We even now cary a spare leaf spring too and all hdwre for the long trips cause salt dont sleep!

Old 08-05-2002, 06:20 PM
Registered

Guess it would be a good idea to carry an extra set of bearings! I always carry my grease gun, though I don't really need it since I keep after the maintenace. But, how do you tell what size bearings you need. I looked and saw that there are different sizes.

How do I tell what size I need rather than having to take one of the bearings out. Do they go by what size wheel you have on the trailer? 14", 15" or 16" wheels. I'd like to know and get a set??? For me or the other guy that broke down......
Old 08-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

EAST COAST B, You can narrow it down by finding out what axels you have ( 3,500 lbs., 5200, 6000,etc.) Call the manufacturer and they should be able to help .But you don't know for sure till you check . I have a trailer repair shop and do this stuff everyday . There are a lot of odd ball axels on some of these trailers . Best to pull one off and check . Also , have the right seal , and all the tolls to change it on the road . It is good to take it off at home and figure out "HOW" to change it . Much better then learning on the road !

A good thing to do :::::
Always grab the top of each tire and push toward the boat and then pull towards you several times . You might feel just a TINY bit of play .( I MEAN TINY ) .That is OK or it may have no play thats OK too . BUT , if it has play , it is either too loose from not being adjusted right OR , The bearings are on there way out !!!

If the bearings are going , they go fast . so check every time you stop . I picked up a new (used) trailer the other day .27'er . it had a touch of play and I knew the guy had lost a bearing just before this so I know it was comeing . 10 miles down the road ,it had some more play !! another 5 miles I could move the tire 2" !! Jack it up and pulled it off . empty trailer no problem . I used to average (when my boat ran ) putting in the water about every other weekend . Mostly salt . I redo the bearings about 3 times a year and they need it . Service them regular and keep spare everything with you . Remeber if one went , why won't they all !! Nothing worse then being on the side of the highway for the afternoon ! If nothing else ,you can get someone else to fix it but they won't have the parts with them . So make sure you do . Been there , done that , Won't do it again !
Old 08-05-2002, 08:41 PM
Registered

Default !

Thanks for the good words!!! Now, if I pull off the bearing, what do I measure or will it have measurements on it. I've never seen a number on one, but then again I wasn't looking for a number. Do I measure the diameter of the spindle which it rides on or the OD of the bearing itself?

I do salt once or twice a year, else it's fresh and on my third season. Last year, my buddies trailer which was only 2 years old, just like you said, I could move the wheel 2 inches.... I repack them each year and so far OK.

I have the tools, but no bearings, guess the tools wouldn't be much use in that case.....eeeeeeeeeeeek!!!

Any advice on the hydraulic couple. After each stop, I have to pull forward just a little to pull it out. Should it come out by itself after I stop or is nudging forward normal operation???

Good words: I have a back up solonoid for my disc brakes and have to have the coupler all the way forward before I can hit reverse to bock the hydraulic action. Major pain in the ass when your on a hill. Resolution: I mounted a 12v switch in the cab to activate the solonoid before I know I'm going to back up a hill..... like every time I back up my driveway!!!!

Thanks again for your advice!!!! ECB

Quick Reply: Lost a bearing on the highway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.