Notices

mercruiser 454

Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks again didn't get anything done today, pouring down outside :/
i do not know what igition system it is but it looks like it is the originale. and on metal thing between the rockers it says "mark v" if that can tell anybody what year or ignition system it is?

Svein
Old 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Registered

find ignition module on the engine and see what is written on it , can be mounted on distributor or port side exhaust elbow
thunderbolt IV is a single module no special procedure for timing
thunderbolt V usualy two modules mounted on distributor , needs purple white wire connected to ground to set timing and carb adjustment
Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered

Gen 5 a mid ninties is probably a tbolt 5 ign. The purple/white wire that you need to ground runs between the ig module and knock sensor module and has a pigtail to ground, often with a rubber plug in it that you remove when grounding.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered

hi again it is finally sun again and i've don a little on the boat. it is a TBV ignition on it i think, it has the two modules on the distributor.
i pulled the valve cover and all the rockers were tigthend almost all the way in :O when i adjusted them the chugging was gone but i saw that one of the pushrods where sligthly bendt. :/
on full thottle she still backfires but i have not adjusted the timing with the white purple wire grounded yet. i hope i got time for that tomorrow.
any thougts?

best regards.

Svein Rønningen
Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You better find out what bent that pushrod. Still could be a cam lobe.Replace and check that each lifter has same amount of movement.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that is a heavy boat, but a nice one. spend a few bucks. pull the heads and get a valve job done, install a roller cam, and msd ignition.... they are heavy and need a strong engine to wake em up!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered

if it's not helping with an adjust of the timing tomorow is it only cam or coil left that can be wrong? if so what brand type is the one to choose? engine parts are extremely pricy here so i would prefer to have something reliable but not too pricy.

best regards

svein rønningen

Last edited by toylux; 09-08-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: writing error
Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

If the rockers were adjusted to tight, could have started to round the lobes on the cam..

Last edited by fleg1; 09-08-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toylux
if it's not helping with an adjust of the timing tomorow is it only cam or coil left that can be wrong? if so what brand type is the one to choose? engine parts are extremely pricy here so i would prefer to have something reliable but not too pricy.

best regards

svein rønningen
set up a paypal account and buy the stuff on ebay in the states. figure a way to get it shipped to you before you buy. the good thing with roller cams is used ones work fine unlike a flat tappet cam. a msd blaster 2 coil is cheap and produce a h3ll of a hot spark, get someone that knows these engine to set the heads up properly for the cam you buy, the correct spring pressure is very important. i would buy a set of good valve springs to go with the cam. you can make a lot better hp and tq with a roller cam, they open the valve much more quickly, so it is at maximum lift much longer... that is a killer boat. post up some pics...rm
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is worth mentioning that you should check/replace the fuel filter/ water separator filter, you could be getting bad gasoline (water in the fuel)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.