Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lake Cumberland and the Blame Game >

Lake Cumberland and the Blame Game

Notices

Lake Cumberland and the Blame Game

Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing that 3rd video it kinda puts a new perspective on things... Obviously safety was not one of their concerns... For both boats....
Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

it would cost as much as a space shuttle to have NASA engineering on a boat as which you describe. Bill Gates or the guys from Qatar would be the only ones running them
Old 09-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why penalize the whole, when the videos clearly show a very few are responsible? Eliminating the top class do to the few that can't police themselves seems like a simple answer, on the surface. Sucks for the responsible top class runners though. I'd rather see 1 class eliminated than to loose them all, or more importantly, an innocent spectator.

But to try and give the top class guys a fair shake, are there any videos of the slower classes passing spectators at dangerously close distances?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Glass Dave, Johnny Saris and a few others (with actual racing experience) have said it and I agree 100%. You simply cannot safely run 150 MPH boats on an open (unsecured) course.

And as for "proper safety equipment," let's just say that no helmet and vest are going to save you when you blow over at 150 MPH. Very few actual race boats are built to withstand that kind of impact. Just ask the Team Geico guys. They know more about the subject than anybody else.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been boating & poker running on LC since I relocated here in 1998, and many years of experience previously, not just on Cumberland. While I didn't know Kevin, Brad or Jeff I do know that both runs on Lake Cumberland are managed, overseen, thought-out and governed by persons that are competent and knowledgeable about the "poker-run" scene, I know these persons personally. While it is truly unfortunate that a loss of life has happened it is none the less inevitable with this sport. Yes it is a sport. The organizers are not personally responsible for this tragic loss of life. The Coast Guard was on the water, a heavy presence of F&W was on the water and to me it was apperant that they made every attempt to keep some of the local idiots out of the way. They just cant do it all, there will always be someone that interferes on purpose or inadvertanetly. The Cruiser we all see in the video was IMO to close to the course, F&W missed them, or they moved closer after a F&W patrol passed. These things we cannot control. Stupidity and inexperience go hand in hand. Kevin, Brad and Jeff all had the right to run as fast as they wanted and felt comfortable with. They are gone but not forgotten, we all must realize that this is a dangerous sport/activity, we all love it and desire to not see it regulated out of existence. I don't see any reason why this event like all others like it will not come back next year. If I have any voice in the matter then it will stay.

Last edited by Trippin; 09-10-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been boating for more than 50 years, 40 of them in boats with too much horsepower. I've never done anything stupid on the water ( I will have some bridges for sale after the show)
I remember back when I was younger there were a lot of people that did dumb **** out in front of my boat. I started looking farther out in front of me.
The next time someone did something dumb in front of me, I just moved my viewing point farther out.
Now, at my age I'm looking farther out than I can see clearly, thats weird, there's nobody doing dumb **** in front of me now.
The responsibility when I'm driving a boat, for my family, my friends, your family and friends, other people on the water is mine.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamjoe
Hi Smitty

Hawthorn Woods, I know the area well. Its going to be very nice up there soon with the cooler weather and fall colors. I disagree with you about adding a device that would control blow-overs. Obviously the idea behind a Cat is to pack air at speed to provide lift. The problem is when there is too much lift. There is no reason that existing technology could not solve this problem. There is hardware today that can read data and make physical tiny to huge adjustments by the millisecond. I'm not talking about something as primitive as a Nascar roof flap but more of a highly engineered device that works on many inputs of data per second. How its shaped, its size, where its located, how to dump or exhaust air are just a few of the questions. But basically the device would operate by the angle of the boat as it relates to whatever the point of no return is. The thing I've noticed about blow-overs is that when the actually get to the point of no return, they typically do it more slowly than once it reaches that point.
the device already exists, it's called the "throttles" the person operating them needs to do it properly
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been around this sport / hobby for a whole lot of years, done a whole bunch of Poker Runs and Fun Runs and IMO you can wrap this deal up any way you want, high tech anti blow over control and all the brainiac chit you can muster up will not stop an event such as this from happening. One thing, and one thing only will put such a sad outcome in the past, Learn how to back it down!!!

A man needs to know his limitations! Needs to know when enough is enough!

I've blown one over, stuffed another, walked away to run another day, Every time it was pizz poor thinking on MY part that caused the problem. Folks need to get off finger pointing at the cause here. Poor judgement here, simple as that, may their souls rest in eternal peace.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 73 Posts

I was down there as a spectator this year and found out about the accident late in the day at Harmon creek. Awful what happened but after watching these two videos countless times, its a miracle no one else was hurt or killed. All 3 of these cats in the two videos were obviously racing all out and took too many chances. The boat behind Jeff/ Brad in the first video almost looks like he had to split the boat filming and that blue baja. What on earth were they thinking? I feel awful for Brad and Jeff but something has to be done. I'll be pretty upset if this (and other poker runs for that matter) get ruined because of drivers not using common sense.

RIP to Brad and Jeff and prayers to their families, friends and employees. Everyone has been sending well wishes to their families and loved ones (understandably) but I really hope both of their respective businesses can continue on. Just awful what happened, for everyone involved.

Last edited by PremierPOWER; 09-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Stu Jones from the Florida Powerboat Club was at my office today and we had the very same conversation. I was amazed to find out this event is in no way is an organized event but more a "free for all" sponsored by the "State Dock", whatever that may be. Jackie did say, however, it is the best dock party around.

Does anybody really believe everybody that lives on this beautiful lake is in tune with a poker run? Most could care less, I would imagine, and have low opinions of us simply based on jealousy and what we do.

Lastly, there is a video showing a boat crossing the path of these boats. This guy didn't cause the incident. The driver's in the cats, refusing to pull back the throttles since egos and adrenaline were at WOT, did. The poor boater out on the lake more than probably had no idea how quickly these vessels were overtaking his craft. Anybody who thinks differently needs to find another hobby. Just because you have the most expensive, the baddest, the fastest doesn't make you a better man then the guy on a pontoon boat with a 20 year old Johnson strapped to the back. Instead maybe just a little more reckless.

Originally Posted by MrOffshore
I know there are some sensitive issues going on with loss of life here...but closing your eyes to this kind of boating is the same as condoning it. I've seen at least three videos that show some of the most irresponsible boating I have ever seen. At the speeds these guys are traveling, there is absolutely no way they could see someone floating on a life jacket, 15 feet of their transom before its too late. I am mind boggled that there aren't more people on this forum shouting out about this. If this is how they run on this poker run, they need to shut it down now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.