It's time for marine education and experience evaluation >

It's time for marine education and experience evaluation

Notices

It's time for marine education and experience evaluation

Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's time for marine education and experience evaluation

I know Mark and participated for several years in SOTW. I grew up boating in West MI and even remember Don Johnson at the boat races in Grand Haven and remember Mark's Scarab, the Miami Vice Sistership. As my parents Chris Craft was docked at Grand Isle Marina in Grand Haven, MI most of my life. I remember captaining on my first Poker run back in the late 80's when I was younger and thinking these guys have fast boats but cant even pull them up to a fuel dock. As I am upgrading my Captains license I think to myself should all that operate a vessel of size as required by the USCG be the same for speed? Not at all am I saying accidents have been that of neglect, they might be accidents. But regulations need to be in place just like they are for any vessel that assures the transport and the safety of any of its passengers. At over a 100mph you need more than a VIP bar card. I think that offshore powerboat captains are unregulated to a fault based on the level of speed and performance.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While I can appreciate safety, keep in mind we can go buy 200 mph cars with no experience, we have 18 yr. old NASCAR drivers whose experience includes go-carts (we let them race 190 mph surrounded by the same), no training needed for a waverunner, fishing boat or cruiser other than boater safety class these days. I moved to Lake Ozark because I like the wild west freedom of it. This weekend I'll be in a powerboat and accept the risks. I serve on the Water Safety Council here and can tell you our collective time is better spent saving lives by combating unnecessary electrocutions or drownings.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree. I have said something similar for a few years. Something along the lines of a basic rating then a type rating as you move up in size and or speed. When the subject pops up the majority balk at the idea. I for one think it would be a major step forward. Not only for performance boaters but for ski boats, sail boats, cruisers, fisherman etc. But there is a 99% chance that bureaucratic bull**** would triumph.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Agree. I have said something similar for a few years. Something along the lines of a basic rating then a type rating as you move up in size and or speed. When the subject pops up the majority balk at the idea. I for one think it would be a major step forward. Not only for performance boaters but for ski boats, sail boats, cruisers, fisherman etc. But there is a 99% chance that bureaucratic bull**** would triumph.
Only 99% ?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm an optimist. LOL