Notices

28 cigarette info

Old 08-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Jeff, I thought he was looking for a little less than 20k. I`d look at real close. and if all is well maybe try to buy it as is for 14k or so. If it has the MercTrans (the bellhousing is part of the case) they are the weak link with a big block. I had them in my Bananna Boat with small blocks and they held up fine but when I had the Superboat with the turbo`d big block, I blew up so many I can`t even count!

Offer him 12k and see what happens. Last year there was a 28 Cig in Long Island, NY, complete except for motors and drives(transom assy`s were there) and it looked fine in the pics for 3000.00 !!!!!

I`d be suspect of the motors after sitting sooo long also.

Kurt.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sean you mentioned something about a foreward tank?
Did they put 2 fuel tanks in the older 28s? I dont think that my 85 has 2
Old 08-06-2002, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggus,

I was a week late on that boat here on LI... The guy had been trying to sell it for a while and then completely dropped his pants...Someone got a good deal...the boat was all original...

Thrillseeker,

Yup, there's a 70 gallon tank under the cockpit sole and another 30 under the v-berth...

Cartman

I would think this boat in MA could end up being a good deal if the gel and interior are in good shape and original...If you are looking for a project, that is...if the motors are questionable and the trans is the MercTrans, Biggus is proabably on target. If you decide to rip everything out and go for Bravos, I may be interested in the drives...
Old 08-06-2002, 09:48 PM
cartman

Thanks for all the input . Kurt Ill have to see what the story is 20k seems a little out there I think you are on target around 12 or so Ill have to get to see the boat hopefully soon, Ill be up this weekend hope to catch up with you.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:21 PM
cartman

When did they stop making 28's and are they all the same hull?

Old 08-07-2002, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno when they stopped making them...I saw one advertised in the Boat Trader and the guy claimed it was 1997 that he had specially built by Cigarette. It had the NACA ducts and everything...but to answer your question, there were no changes to the hull in the entire history of the boat. I did see a 28 in Baltimore a couple of years ago with about a 10" section of "deck" between the hatch and the back seat, where my boat and any other that I have seen have about a 3" section. Dunno if it was original...

Of course they also built three different deck configurations...the SS which has the flat deck and low windshield, the Sedan which had a high deck and taller windshield and as Brownie mentioned in an earlier thread, the side console model with twin side consoles, an open bow area with opposing benches and a small v berth up forward. Hope this helps.