Lets try this again. Solve the problems >

Lets try this again. Solve the problems

Notices

Lets try this again. Solve the problems

Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Why is this thread here? This guy had the last thread he started CLOSED because he didn't' like the dialog. F that! What if this thread doesn't go the way he wants? Cry to the mods and others again? BS. If you value your time responding......post over HERE ON THIS THREAD instead to join a real conversation that is continuing on making poker runs safer and boats too.
By the way, I don't disagree with you that the other thread has some great ideas. And its originator is someone who knows his stuff. He would be my first choice to lead the effort that I described without a doubt. Unfortunately, his thread hasn't been effective. Not that its a competition, but that thread was started 5-years ago. We just had fatalities last week. I'm not sure if it will, but I'm hoping my thread will result in real some action and not 5 years worth of talk
Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Let's try this one more time. Slow down.

That is the only answer whether you like it or not.

Same thing applies to every motorized vehicle on the planet, in the air or in space. History has proved it.
As Pat stated, it's the boat operators that need to put the reighns on and slow the f**k down. I've yet to hear of a mechanical failure that caused any of these recent Poker run incedents. I've been on few Poker runs myself (Key West) and have attended many small boat events (River Ranch, Jupiter Hot Boat Ralley, Tiki Bar Ralley, Clewiston 200hp shootout, etc.) where tripple digit speeds were attained. I've found more pleasure in riding along side my buddies, shooting pictures, admiring other boats, and socializing than the bragging rights of being the first one to the card stops or the fast guy on the water. Boats, motors, drives, etc have become so advanced that they've outpaced the abilities of most of the people that can afford to buy/drive them. It becomes more of a problem when these boats are driven to these extreme speeds during Poker runs where many other "civilian" boaters, spectators, boat wakes, etc. are present. These speeds should only be run in controlled environments (shootouts) or when the operator knows he has the "clean" water and no other boat traffic to be concerned about. We all watched with horror the video of the Fountain that beat the daylights out of everyone on board and he was going half the speed of these powerful cats!! It's time for us as a community to wake up, man up, and agree in advance NOT to run beyond a specific speed limit during these events..These are social events, NOT races and therefore the drivers need to regulate themselves to maintaining the safety of their passengers as well as the rest of the fleet.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered

On another note, I find it interesting that all of these incedents took place on closed bodies of water with the pack running relatively close to each other considering the speeds they were running. To my knowledge there have not been any tradgic accidents on the Key West, Jacksonville or Bahamas Poker runs. When the boats have the ability to spread out over large bodies of water the safety factors improve....
Old 09-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
On another note, I find it interesting that all of these incedents took place on closed bodies of water with the pack running relatively close to each other considering the speeds they were running. To my knowledge there have not been any tradgic accidents on the Key West, Jacksonville or Bahamas Poker runs. When the boats have the ability to spread out over large bodies of water the safety factors improve....
You're right, in the PR environment. But there were 3 fatalities within a couple of days of each other in Key West during the race. That goes to what can be done about the blow-over. Regarding PRs, does anyone really think that EVERYONE is going to control themselves and follow a set of rules. Why would they?
Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iamjoe
You're right, in the PR environment. But there were 3 fatalities within a couple of days of each other in Key West during the race. That goes to what can be done about the blow-over. Regarding PRs, does anyone really think that EVERYONE is going to control themselves and follow a set of rules. Why would they?
If I remember correctly both boats went over in Key West Harbor....Big Thunder Marine kited while accelerating down the straight away in front of the fans before Mallery Square.....again, lots of boat wakes bouncing off the sea wall and an increase in accelleration down the straight away that was in "protected" water...bad things happen fast at those speeds with little (if any at all) time to correct...
Old 09-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first safety device is that melon on top of the shoulders. you can't fix stupid, especially when it has $$$. note;Key West's harbor was favored for the racing back when I lived there.you have 5 channels meeting there, depending on temp, winds and current trends. that was the challenge for racer's. have seen go from 6-8 ft at shipping channel to FAC in several hours. driving fast may seem ok, but lots of other boaters don't pay any mind.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Slow down in areas that are congested questionable or could produce an incident.....keeping distances from others in the run(i.e. if a drive breaks and boat hooks?) Just because you have a fast boat or the fastest doesn't mean you have to show it 110% all the time....