Notices

Lake of the ozarks

Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Lake of the ozarks

Just learned a fact on animal planet. Where lake of the ozarks is was originally over 60 cemeteries. Before building the dam and flooding they were only able to exhume and relocate about half of the bodies. The rest are presumed to still be buried and underwater. Interesting.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Registered

Googled it and found this

http://www.lakehistory.info/gravesites.htm
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's my home turf, the LOTO history is very interesting, the Bagnell Dam was built in the mid-thirties, it's almost 100' deep at it's deepest point and the main channel is 100 miles long with 1,200 miles of shoreline, it's beautiful, expect Nov through March when it's freezing friggin' cold and and snowing, now you know why we bought a house down here.

Here's the Lake house, Winters suck, look at the snow next to the Formula.

Last edited by 314joey; 09-17-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered

Yeah I was just doing some reading on it. Once I saw this fact made me look into it.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
That's my home turf, the LOTO history is very interesting, the Bagnell Dam was built in the mid-thirties, it's almost 100' deep at it's deepest point and the main channel is 100 miles long with 1,200 miles of shoreline, it's beautiful, expect Nov through March when it's freezing friggin' cold and and snowing, now you know why we bought a house down here.

That is true, but it is important to recall that Construction of LOTO started 1929 and the dam was no completed until 1931. it remains as one of the largest man-made lakes in the world and the largest in the United States. It was built at a time of the introduction of hydro electric power plant for the Osage River. There is alot of interesting history at LOTO
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Registered

Damn Jim, was the pic of the boat just after you covered it cause you went for an afternoon ride? Loo
Old 09-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Is that lake froze over?

I will be showing the GF this lol. We both fell in love with that area when there for the shootout this year. She wants to move there bad now. I told her though we have yet to see a winter there and we are both FL folk so we are cold weather pansy's.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Damn Jim, was the pic of the boat just after you covered it cause you went for an afternoon ride? Loo
You should see me shoveling the snow off the dock so it doesn't get to heavy and sink it, ice and snow isn't fun when you're grown up.

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Is that lake froze over?

I will be showing the GF this lol. We both fell in love with that area when there for the shootout this year. She wants to move there bad now. I told her though we have yet to see a winter there and we are both FL folk so we are cold weather pansy's.
Yes, that's the lake frozen over and that's my neighbor with a gas powered chainsaw cutting ths ice so it breaks up so it doesn't crush all our docks, like I said winters suck in the midwest or we wouldn't have bought a house down here where it's warm, the Shootout and Summer is great fun, but living there 12 months of the year, not for me anymore, think about it, it's a big move.

If you're a cold weather person it's not for you and what's even worse from November to March you "MIGHT" see the sun one day of the week, we call St. Louis (St. Gloomis) because the sun doesn't come back out until April, we're spoiled down here, the sun is out everyday, get ready for darkness and good luck.

Last edited by 314joey; 09-17-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Registered

LOTO does have some interesting history......and some interesting people, especially in the upper mile markers....cue banjo music

but winters are not THAT bad, Joey. Its not tropical costal but not Minnesota either.
Snow like that is exceptional and does not happen but every couple years. Even when it does come down, it usually disappears fast. Ozarks are rarely bitter cold but can get down enough to cover coves in ice at some point every year. (not thick enough a person can venture far from shore usually) Main channel icing takes an exceptional year.

No hurricanes to deal with and best of all, NO SALTWATER!

Every location has its plus and minus, just depends on how an individual rates each point.

Nice thing about both locations is there are tons of vacation home possibilities. Its not hard to rent a place for a month and enjoy either location.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I've seen over 100' on my depthfinder in a couple different locations on LOTO.

Yes, Midwest winters suck but LOTO is Southwest of where a lot of the clippers come down from the North. I cannot tell you how many times I've left Central IL in 30 degree weather and as soon as I cross I-70 the temp starts going up and it is in the 60's at LOTO. I've boated every month of the year on LOTO. However, your boating window on those 60 - 70 degree winter days is only a few hours in the middle of the day. I boat from April thru October in IL. In LOTO it is about the same except you have more nicer days in that 7 month window.

Gathering ice for cocktails on a 70 degree day in Party Cove 2/1/2003.
Attached Thumbnails Lake of the ozarks-iceman.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.