Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many of you occasionally boat alone? >

How many of you occasionally boat alone?

Notices

How many of you occasionally boat alone?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How many of you occasionally boat alone?

My wife doesn't always want to go out when I do and if there is no one else around to tag along I go alone. I have a system that I have used for years that works where as I can launch, dock and retrieve my boat by my self...been doing it for years.

I always keep a PFD within arms reach and if I am "running" I always wear a vest.

Anyway...she thinks I am crazy. I always tell some one when I am leaving, where I will be generally and when I expect to return...common sense stuff.

Any of you guys do this or am I nuts? LOL

Last edited by sprink58; 09-21-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I go alone quite a bit, don't see any problem with it.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I do the majority of my boating in the Cigarette alone. Usually meet up with other friends while on the water. My wife has long lost interest in big speeds but she does like cruising in our Pachanga with the dog. I've grown used to it and really do not enjoy having a boat load. I like how the boat handles when light much better, can run as hard as I want and don't have to worry about others trashing the boat. Friends bust me on it and always ask for rides but I don't care, would rather roll with my One Man Wolf Pack! lol!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boating alone wouldn't bother at all, the Wife loves being in the boat so much I 'd never get away from the dock without her, not unless I wanted to be in the dog house when I got home, but I don't see anything wrong with it, boating is great.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a good system to launch and retrieve. I always wear a self inflating PFD and use the ignition kill teather. I see no problems with it. Generally the boaters I've encountered who can operate alone are pretty competent mariners.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

I boat alone alot. I think I am going to install a tether switch though.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being schizophrenic I (we) are never really alone
Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90 % of the time I'm alone. Kids are older and its not really the wifes thing. People are amazed that I can launch and retrieve quicker than they can with people helping.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by First Gun
Being schizophrenic I (we) are never really alone
lol . . .

I use to be gone for days myself. I would get on the boat Thursday night or Friday afternoon and just bounce around the SW end of lake Erie and just go wherever my boat took me. I absolutely loved it and was much easier to do when i was in my early thirties. I still get out by myself from time to time and have no prob launching and retrieving or docking alone. Like you said you develop a system and its funny when people are with me on the boat now they kinda get in the way because i got so good at doing things solo. My GF tells ne she feels like she should be doing something but i seem to get it done better if she keeps clear. I always have to tell her I'm just use to it from having done it that way so long lol. You do have to conduct yourself differently when your out on your own, maybe be a little more cautious or hyper aware and make sure things like kill switch and pfds are used. Know your limitations, it reminds of a story that was posted here about ten years ago. Guy was in some kinda hot 24/7 hull, lost control and got ejected with no kill switch, boat ended up a smoking pinpoint on the horizon on some beach with him floating in the middle of the bay. Those kinda things echo in my head and keep me from taking risks alone (or most any other time)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do it also, heck when we go to the Bahamas 150 miles out I prefer to go it alone, better to send the wife and her friends over by plane, then I don't have to worry about how rough it is. Did it 3 times this summer myself. For normal boating I only do it if i am working on the boat/engines or testing something, no trouble finding friends to go out with here. But i do enjoy the quiet being out there alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.