Notices

Hp 500 carb?

Old 09-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hp 500 carb?

Hey all,

After looking hard at my starboard engine, I can see a fair amount of fuel leaking out from under the carb assembly. My mechanic suggested I simply replace it vs. a rebuild kit. He said it looks like the previous owner tried to play with it... As was evidenced by the loose bolts into the assembly. If he tears into it with a rebuild kit but sees its cracked from over tightening, then I've wasted that few hundred bucks and need a new carb anyways. Given the loose assembly has probably torn up the gasket (other possible source of fuel leakage) I am searching for a new carb anyways.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I am new to marine mechanics... Any YouTube links on taking the carb off to inspect it?

Anyone have a carb to sell? http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/w...lly-800-a.html
Old 09-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Post up a pic of the fuel leak. If the shafts are leaking yes buy another one. If not take it apart yourself and look it over. They are very simple. Then he can put it back together with a rebuild kit. If he says he can't put it back after you take it apart find someone else.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the response, that's exactly what I was looking for. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. Anything to be aware of when disassembling it?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had a problem with mine blowing or tearing a "power valve" when the valve was torn the motor would run very rich.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by augie58
I had a problem with mine blowing or tearing a "power valve" when the valve was torn the motor would run very rich.
+1
Old 09-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It may be as simple as a ruptured accelerator pump diaphram as well. I had that happen on one of mine.

Mark
Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Registered

Another symptom was that while revving quickly to 3500 rpm, one of the exhaust ports spit blacker smoke and the other appeared normal. His comment was that it sounded like one side of the engine wasn't firing all cylinders; could that be because of the reasons mentioned? The power valve or accelerator pump?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

send it out to one of the high end carb builder like nickerson... they will go through it and test it before shipping it back to you...

Last edited by ratman; 09-22-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: i can f ing spell lol