Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anti-flipping device Youtube video and it even has a patent! >

Anti-flipping device Youtube video and it even has a patent!

Notices

Anti-flipping device Youtube video and it even has a patent!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Damn, rough crowd. At least somebody out there is attempting to solve part of the problem. It may not be THE answer, but maybe the idea will lead to other thoughts. Somebody at Cirrus aircraft once said "would if we put a rocket deployed parachute on our airplanes that would deploy if needed". I am sure that the initial idea was laughed at, but teh idea has saved some lives (or at least diminished the chance of losing life).

Would if you took the same gyro idea, but instead of deploying the parachutes into the air or water, it would deploy "spoliers", or "flaps" built into the hull (maybe the top deck surface close to the bow) that would change the airflow enough to turn it back into a boat, rather than a plane. Changing the airflow could change the attitude of the boat by taking away lift without scrubbing too much speed too fast (which I understand is a recipe for internal injuries). The gyro/computer could do it much, much faster than a human (almost instantaneously), and then retract back into place after the attitude is corrected, resetting itself when doing so.

It would be interesting to take a scale model (even 3' long) and put it into a small wind tunnel to see what the addition of flaps or spoilers would do to airflow.

I know, "beep, beep", but I don't like seeing folks die on the water. With no changes, it is really a matter of who will be next, because there will be a next.

I have to add to this that I do not own a cat, and know little about running them. It is just a thought.....

Last edited by 36Tango; 09-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My eliminator already has a super high tech anti flipping device installed.

Next to the shifter is a lever called the "throttle" it has a revolutionary button mounted on it called "trim". In case of rough water or high stress situation you pull back on the "throttle" and leave the "trim" neutral.

I'm going public with this! I'm gonna be rich! Been using it on all my cats since 2004!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
My eliminator already has a super high tech anti flipping device installed.

Next to the shifter is a lever called the "throttle" it has a revolutionary button mounted on it called "trim". In case of rough water or high stress situation you pull back on the "throttle" and leave the "trim" neutral.

I'm going public with this! I'm gonna be rich! Been using it on all my cats since 2004!!!!!!!!!
I agree, but my first safety device is my brain, when it tells me the it's best to slow down before you kill yourself, GOD gave us this wonderful tool, we just need to use it more often.

And I'm not making fun, I'm just telling the truth.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
I agree, but my first safety device is my brain, when it tells me the it's best to slow down before you kill yourself, GOD gave us this wonderful tool, we just need to use it more often.

And I'm not making fun, I'm just telling the truth.
Ahhhhh.....I can tell you are a "V Bottom" guy. See I use my "ASS" In a cat you must cover it at all times!