Notices

Boat Cover Repair

Old 10-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Cover Repair

The thick canvas cover on my scarab is starting to pull apart at the seams. No rips or tears in the actual canvas, just at the seams. Can any seamstress do this with thick stitching, or do I need to go to someone who specializes in this?

Thanks!!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

You can do it on any heavy duty machine. You need to make sure they use UV stable poly thread for outdoor canvas work, regular HD button type thread will not last long. I bought an industrial Pfaff machine and do this all the time and believe me I'm no expert. Even though your cover appears to be in good shape be prepared for the fact it may not be, UV damage can sometimes hide. Try to pull it apart where there are no stitches, lay it flat and try to push apart on a flat table. With material that is heavy UV damaged the additional stitching can actually cut the fabric.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 10-11-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
You can do it on any heavy duty machine. You need to make sure they use UV stable poly thread for outdoor canvas work, regular HD button type thread will not last long.
Been there and done that, cover 3 years old now in Texas summers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509647[/ATTACH]
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave said it. Cheap thread. The best thread is 129 dollars a roll. Ouch! But there is really good thread out there that will hold up good and not so hard on the machines. When you use the best thread, it takes a toll on your sewing machine and gets coated up. Go to a canvas shop and make sure they are using good thread. They can put it back together again.