Notices

Races Leaving Key West??

Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx JS. It was a long hard season, the crew deserves the credit they really kicked a**.

Plenty of beautiful beaches and Islands and bars around Wst Cst. Someone smart will make it work (fun) and the Poker Run crowd will split- ones that want to watch fast boats race and party vs ones that can afford the Keys Run and want to party in KW (no prob w either.. btw). Sponsors and vendors and builders will have to make a decision 100K people race site or ??.... another split..... Viability for sponsors begins to wane on both sides until stability can be assured at one or the other venue.

A race on the west coast will open the chance for a lot of performance boat families and poker runners that are not able to attend ($$,time,location) the Keys event. These boats will fill in for the boats that want the keys PR vacation. It's hard to argue with the numbers ... 3000+ spectator boats is a Lot of gas , food fun and partying for one day race...imagine a 5 day event. Some smart poker run promoter will make a fortune by locking up the best marina and creating a killer party weekend around a venue like Clearwater.

Time will tell... Either way...we will be racing as hard as we can.

Best to all
Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
. Just looking at the pics of the Boca Grande sand bar party it looked like a lot more fun than standing 3 deep at the sea wall and watching boats break.
!
What is Boca Grande? Pictures????
Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pure economics nothing more nothing less. Alot of racers just cant afford to do KW so by moving the race the boat count might increase and in turn a better show. But time will tell the ball is in KW hands, they have to decide if it is something they can afford to do without. It would have a huge economic impact of the city for sure.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think you are wrong.......While it is nice to have a "speed week" with all types of go fast boats I don't think you have as much of a following as you think since the overlap is what boosts your attendance. I can remember groups of poker runners leaving on Sunday morning before the races to get back to Miami and missing ever race on Sunday on purpose!
Just as a point......other than Key West: How many races feature a poker run of significant size around the race dates? I can't think of one, so that would negate your "poker runs will come where the races are" idea.

Move that event to Clearwater and I would bet Key West is still the Poker Run destination! Remember that poker run is the finale for many up north boaters before they put the boat up for the winter and Key West is simply a better boating vacation destination than Clearwater. I understand the racers want the most bang for the buck and KW is not it but the PR crowd is of a different mentality since it is also a vacation for them. Just looking at the pics of the Boca Grande sand bar party it looked like a lot more fun than standing 3 deep at the sea wall and watching boats break.

Congrats on your win......You guys deserved it after all your troubles last season!
Your Points are correct in my eyes so I don't see why the *****ing and fuss.

The Poker Run ot the Keys will still be what it is today.....amazing

The Worls finals SBI race in clearwater will give the sport what it needs....people, coverage, and a chance a more fans.

It really is a Win/Win......someone too will also prob organize a smaller Poker run for the race event too. Don;t think that there isnt any boats that wont show, there is plenty down here, For me I will do K.W. next year but that's probably it for me. Why spend 4K+ when I can boat in my back yard with thousands of others?

I don't see anyone loosing if the Race it's self goes to Clearwater. Both the Race and the FPC poker run will do just fine if not better for all.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Does anyone know the FPC/PR fleet numbers for 2003? That was the last time the "races" were moved and the raceboat count was minimal. My guess is the PR count was still large.

I hope that if the SBI races move they move it back a week(or forward) so that there remains an option for the racers to also compete in KW when another group has an event there in place of SBI.

I will attend both if they are not on the same weekend.

The upside of the move is I can refrain from dropping the extra $$ I was going allow for a race view room.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Does anyone know the FPC/PR fleet numbers for 2003? That was the last time the "races" were moved and the raceboat count was minimal. My guess is the PR count was still large.

I hope that if the SBI races move they move it back a week(or forward) so that there remains an option for the racers to also compete in KW when another group has an event there in place of SBI.

I will attend both if they are not on the same weekend.

The upside of the move is I can refrain from dropping the extra $$ I was going allow for a race view room.
heck room rates and dock slip fees would prob go down a bit if the races moved and the P.R. stays. Really I think the only thing the Poker runners would miss out on is the street party with the boat doing down duval...past that I bet most don't even notice and get a cheaper rate on their rooms.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree Greg, or FPC can change their date... Either way they should not be on the same weekend
Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
heck room rates and dock slip fees would prob go down a bit if the races moved and the P.R. stays. Really I think the only thing the Poker runners would miss out on is the street party with the boat doing down duval...past that I bet most don't even notice and get a cheaper rate on their rooms.
The PR wouldnt notice the differance but the city sure would feel it in revenue...
Old 11-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

So which crowd has the free spenders that drive the prices up ? Poker runners or racers and race fans ?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
So which crowd has the free spenders that drive the prices up ? Poker runners or racers and race fans ?
Its not a matter of free spenders, the racers are there for 10days and the PR 4days. That changes thing alot, and I dont think you will see fans for the PR if the race leaves. So actually you wouldnt see 75% of the income the city see now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.