Notices

Races Leaving Key West??

Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOATERED
WOW! Thanks that is incredible http://bit.ly/19itASz
No doubt. Spent the last 20 minutes going through those amazing pics. Made me feel like I was there. P B N has it figured out. Lots of pics and no drama.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

The sport was born when a bunch of wealthy "Sportsmen" would climb aboard their boats and race from one point to another point.

Why not take the old course that we ran from Key West to Dry Tortugas and then back to Key West. However, unless the boat and crew come down as part of the poker run, they wouldn't be allowed to enter this "Sportsmen" event.

If SBI leaves FP could add it to their events. If SBI stays they could add it to their schedule and work with FP to promote it. A totally different event than anyone else is doing.

Remember how much everyone loved the Miami to Bimini race when it was done a few years ago. Try it!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Greg, ya gotta stay one year on Sunset Key. Wow. We did last year but $2500 a night. What a CLASS ACTive!
Did that for 2009 and 2010. I actually enjoyed the shuttle boat. Last regular shuttle at 2:15 gave me a deadline. In the pizza line at 1:45, eating it as I walked to shuttle. Place was amazing. WF hammock in our backyard.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
We had two rooms at the Hyatt for 3 nights and spent $5300. I'm staying with you next time!
If I do the poker run next year, its on my list I might just sleep on the boat.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

If the races left Key West for even 1 year - it might reduce the price gouging and renew interest from local vendors to sponsor. As it was already noted the local business' attitude is " they're going to race anyway.."

Tony Stewart (Owner/driver Nascar) publicly blasted hotels/motels at one race for gouging race fans. A cheap room started @ $500/night for the weekend of the race that was normally $60ish.

Nascar changed race schedule and some tracks went from 2 races to one - it definitely has a huge economic impact on the areas - those b*tching the most - hotels/motels (who think it's just good business practice to capitalize AKA gouge when the opportunity knocks).