Notices

Floating Trailer Issues

Old 10-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a new trailer LOL, really a frustrating thing especially when loading in a current, I had a builder tell me once to back in water and go have lunch, once the wood soaks up a little water there like lead weights LOL
Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder if my triple axle Manning will do this in salt water. It did not on the sea trial but that was fresh water, isn't salt water more buoyant?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I have load master triple and trailer never floats. Fresh or salt... always heard that up north, ppl prefer steel for that reason, but my alun never floats. I back in just enough to cover fenders and front bunks with no issues and drive boat up.. latch and crank i f needed.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Wonder if my triple axle Manning will do this in salt water. It did not on the sea trial but that was fresh water, isn't salt water more buoyant?
Your trailer will not.

The only ones that do it are the aluminum bolt-together trailers with long/large wood bunks.
Often the frames are quite short in comparison to your Manning; as they end them right after the axles and use the wood bunks to extend off the back to meet the transom. This is part of their cost cutting technique; again--all pending the manufacturer. Some are built better than others.
Triple axle trailer more likely than a tandem.
16" tires on aluminum rims, more likely than 15" steel rims. etc. etc.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
All the above will work. We have a easy no cost process. Back in the trailer in but not so far in that it floats. Drive the boat about 1/3 way up the bungs and the driver walks down the trailer with the wench strap in hand & connects. Driver eases the trailer into the water while you are cranking in the winch strap....pretty easy. Wife can't help?...maybe your girfriend can.
I have a Owens and Sons Slide-On Aluminum trailer that was custom fit to my 20' Cigarette and the only issue is that it wants to float. Lucky for me, I currently boat in fresh water and it does not float as much as you boaters in salt water. The best method other than add 100's of pounds to the trailer is use this method that is recommended. I generally launch and retrieve my boat without any help and this method works great after you practice a few times. If you take your time and get the boat started on the rear of the trailer you can usually back down only one time and you are all set. I do not ever power load my boat and very comfortable handling the boat alone. This might be more challenging with larger, heavier boats but should be a breeze if your wife(not) or girlfriend gives you a little help. Enjoy the weekend and safe boating!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Triple axle trailer more likely than a tandem.
16" tires on aluminum rims, more likely than 15" steel rims. etc. etc.
Also 2 extra tires filled with air..
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Floating trailers ... ... . what's next, flying boats?? lol
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the guide poles cap off the bottom and fill them with sand and put a cap on top..
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
WTF are you talking about?
Sorry Brian... Trailer... NOT Trainer. I was typing from my phone.... AND - 4 tires have a lot less buoyancy than 6. Do the math.

Last edited by MidOcean; 10-19-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the recommendations!

I have a tandem with no guide poles. It is a "bolt together" trailer. I can see how the long bunks in addition to the four tires don't help. The trailer holds a Sunsation 288 so there is plenty of wood to add to the bloating issue.

I've tried backing in slowly, dunking the entire trailer and pulling out, and many of the other recommendations from above. I'm not a novice but would like to think I exhausted every solution before bolting weight to the trailer which seemed to be the best solution outside of buying a steel trailer.

Seeing that I boat in only freshwater I could go either way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.