Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Superchiller, intercooler real world results? >

Superchiller, intercooler real world results?

Notices

Superchiller, intercooler real world results?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Good info, how long did you run that motor for?
I`d like to run a stage 4 BDS 10-71 with Dart iron heads, 8.2cr, 540ci bow tie block with an intercooler at 7-8psi and know that its a safe set up.
I plan on running a intake temp gauge before and after the intercooler to keep an eye on the intake temps on those hot days too...

Does coolerman have a web page?
Why not consider Aluminum heads instead of the intercooler?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510532[/ATTACH] I looked and couldn't find any test, I've done without a cooler, back to back going to cooler. It pretty much takes about 1.5 psi more to achieve the same boost # using a intercooler. That's my experience using a Blower Shop Intercooler. I have pushed 7 psi no intercooler with cast iron heads, 8.1 cr, on a 580 cid with a BDS. making right at 920 hp @ 6000.
I was looking for a test I did for the Blower Shop, testing one of the cupri-nickel verses alum. not much difference.

The test in the picture is the difference between a core that was in a Blower Shop housing, that WAS NOT FROM THE BLOWER SHOP. Test 540c54. The power and torque was way down.This was a early cupri-nickel core from someone else, that sucked!!!!
Test 540c57 was the same engine with the alum core from THE BLOWER SHOP.
If I was buying intercoolers today, I would spend the $$$ and buy the coolers from Jason, COOLERMAN.
Thanks Mark. Always great talking on the phone with you. Keep in touch!

Thanks for posting the info!

The first 3 pics here are some PF Marine Mark 6 Xtreme replacements that went under some quad 4.0 liter blowers. You can see the tubes on our core, and they will not plug up like a standard bar and plate design. In essence, our cores do not loose efficiency with time.

Also, our modified tube and fin style core has a slightly higher efficiency, so building a taller/thicker core was not needed (causes more restriction/higher pressure drop).

The last 4 pics are from other customer projects.
Attached Thumbnails Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-2013-06-01-00.17.30.jpg   Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-2013-06-01-00.17.39.jpg   Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-2013-06-02-11.22.30.jpg  

Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-haxby.jpg   Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-bobp1.jpg   Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-bobp2.jpg  

Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-2013-06-15-00.29.19.jpg  

Last edited by Coolerman; 10-21-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
you can run off the main water supply w Mercury fuel injection. Mine runs perfect and like I said . When you run salt water . the waterpump will keep water in your motor will keep your chiller wet over night, like Catalina or when you pull it out and they wont let you flush at the launch ramp ( welcome to san diego)My motors started out as 04 575's,
My 575 ran like $hit (with my whipple cooler) plumbed off the sea pump! The 575 fuel injection is not that big of an upgrade over properly done carbs, in fact it is a limiting factor in after cam upgrades. The difference you may see is warmer water temps there. Are you sure yours is plumbed off the sea pump?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had air temps. recorded. But going back in the dyno files, I had them labeled different and I do not recall having the temps recording during the time the crappy cupri-nickel core that was being used. I just knew the numbers were way off, using that build in the past. I know the test with temp probes was done with the Blower Shop Cupri-nickel and the alum core, temps were noted and the difference between the 2 cores in power were not split by very much, if any. I know Eric @ Blower Shop sent me the cupri-nickel core to test, since they just came out with it @ that time. I know; I sent the data with the test core back.
I by far; am no expert at knowing the negatives and positives over the intercooler. I know; high inlet air temps are going to reduce power and can also lead to pistons burning up, not from detonation. But from excessive combustion chamber temps.
I feel like maybe; I side tracked a little here from the original thread.

One of the other questions was; How long did, I run this. On the dyno or in the boat?

Looking at temps; I had a probe in a spacer (Non metallic) on the blower side and used another probe in the intake manifold. You will start to see a heat sink into the intake, taking into account; block temp and oil temp splash to the bottom of intake. This test was done with my dyno cooling tower allowing 165 degrees of water temp and allowing the oil temp to be about the same.

Using the Blower Shop intercooler, I know moving as much water through the core is going to make it as efficient as possible, due to core design it would be hard to exceed a flow rate. I know Coolerman, can give the flow requirements for his cooler, as we have had a discussion on subject. His intercooler, is not going to see some of the issues we have encountered, with others.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolerman
Thanks Mark. Always great talking on the phone with you. Keep in touch!

Thanks for posting the info!

The first 3 pics here are some PF Marine Mark 6 Xtreme replacements that went under some quad 4.0 liter blowers. You can see the tubes on our core, and they will not plug up like a standard bar and plate design. In essence, our cores do not loose efficiency with time.

Also, our modified tube and fin style core has a slightly higher efficiency, so building a taller/thicker core was not needed (causes more restriction/higher pressure drop).

The last 4 pics are from other customer projects.
Hey I see that one un assembled package, is from my buddy; Haxby. He better get busy and get it finished. L.O.L Mark
Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
My 575 ran like $hit (with my whipple cooler) plumbed off the sea pump! The 575 fuel injection is not that big of an upgrade over properly done carbs, in fact it is a limiting factor in after cam upgrades. The difference you may see is warmer water temps there. Are you sure yours is plumbed off the sea pump?
The water temp are cooler here believe it or not. the ocean is in the 60's most of the time and Havasu is in the 70s. I know Lake Minnetonka and back east the water in the summer gets warme that that. I run super chillers and Blower shop 250 series blowers. 7 pounds of boost . plugs look good and tons of water blowing threough the chillers at all times.chad
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my old scarab motor it made about 25 hp diff, we couldn't get the pressure up, but that was a test vs water not flowing thru the innercooler. motor made 765, I mainly did it for the chousion for detonation,There expensive now, also with all the plumbing .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510638[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Superchiller, intercooler real world results?-aa_scarab_engine_-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
On my old scarab motor it made about 25 hp diff, we couldn't get the pressure up, but that was a test vs water not flowing thru the innercooler. motor made 765, I mainly did it for the chousion for detonation,There expensive now, also with all the plumbing .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]510638[/ATTACH]
Hey Strip, how much boost have you put through your iron heads on your current mills? What compression are they? I know you logged some hours on those puppies
Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Starting 2005 it was low 7's at 760ish,2006 turned it up maxed out low 8,4 850ish, 2010 droped exhaust seat, fresh bore,all new guts on ethonal gas, 883 around 8.8,.2012 star motor was showing some metal,it was due and ive got ADD,tore down and everything looked good, norm motor with hours, one blower had slack in it like wear in the gears, sent both for the hell of it,now have new 3.3 and with same pulleys at was over 9 and felt real good, i backed it down, and started running 93 no ethonal, had blower sealing problems and new inbetween pulleys seems to be close to the old pulley,havent ran it much this year, will reseal this winter, run with the 4.375 pulley and hopefully run the same as/close to the 8+ setting, after the new blowers and all new motor it knocked my dick it the dirt,now driving like a old lady. we ran on the dyno 2006 11.5 psi just for the dyno sheet, blower and heads/cam prob maxed out, made 911 on 112oct. I know i need heads, always did, but boat couldnt handle it anyway, the heads will be the next thing I change "if" something happens.

so say 8.4 psi,8.6cr,blower was at 314hours when ,,, so thats 314 since 2005, but also look at my thread that showed all the time,seconds,minutes at diff rpm range, Like 70% was at idle

sorry tmi

rob

Now the scarab was 12 psi on 93 at 828 7100.that was 1995

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 10-22-2013 at 10:20 PM.