Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight? >

Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?

Notices

Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?

Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?

I have a set of k-planes collecting dust in the shop. I am planning to install them on my 21' Scout. I cant decide whether to install them parallel to the V or place them horizontal like some of the newer race boats. What's your thoughts? I'll start popping some corn.....
Old 10-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was Eddie Young that explained to me that the water coming off the back of the boat leaves in a v shape so the tabs would be more effective mounted parallel rather than horizontal. Randy
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of arguments for both ways, I'll give you my 2 bob.
I have a set of dana hp1100's mounted on the angle on my 21' ski race boat.
On the angle is very aggressive and quite touchy to adjust but they have a much bigger effect on hull attitude.
Parallel is a lot softer acting and seems to be more forgiving when making adjustments, however you'll find this way won't give you as much overall trim adjustment.
I love mine on the angle and I wouldn't have them any other way, but it depends a bit on your skill level in making adjustments and hull shape. I know of some hulls that you would stuff real easy set up on the angle.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's my thoughts.......

I had a 24' boat with 280's mounted parallel, and now have a 30' boat with 380's mounted horizontal. Granted, different size boats, but both 7' beam. I prefered the tabs mounted parallel. Once I was on "3" on my indicators, the tabs started making a big difference. With them mounted horizontal, It seems like I have to put them down to 5 or 6 before noticing a profound difference.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

the reason the tabs are muted when mounted horizontal is as the tab starts to move down into the water flow only a small sliver of the surface of the tab is initially available. When mounted in a traditional manor the full width of the tab is introduced to water flow. See quickie graphic

I have never ran a boat mounted horizontal but my next build will be set op this way.
Attached Thumbnails Which Way to Install Trim Tabs, Angled or Straight?-tab.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't mounting them horizontal have much less of an effect of "making it run like a bigger boat"
Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

It would appear like that. Why not just buy smaller tabs if you don't want as much tab surface rather than do the horizontal?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

We like our tabs at the same angle as the V of the boat. We have run a few different boats with the level tabs and did not like them at all.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
the reason the tabs are muted when mounted horizontal is as the tab starts to move down into the water flow only a small sliver of the surface of the tab is initially available. When mounted in a traditional manor the full width of the tab is introduced to water flow. See quickie graphic

I have never ran a boat mounted horizontal but my next build will be set op this way.
Why are you gonna set the next boat up horizontal Dave?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Don't confuse racing and pleasure driving. When racing its about as little drag as possible to get the job done. Your tabs are your last option you ever want to use and at that they are used very sparingly. We tend to use negative trim first then ballast tank. The tabs are for fine tuning and quartering seas IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.