Bendpak garage lifts for home garage >

Bendpak garage lifts for home garage

Notices

Bendpak garage lifts for home garage

Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
I've done some research and they seem to be one of the better choices.I would like any feedback as I have 4 months at least until the new car arrives. I have a 12 foot garage ceiling so I guess I have options
So let me get this straight......................... You've ordered what is aurgubally the most technically advanced and and best performing car ever built in the US (mass produced) and your're buying a lift to park it on? Good God man! I'd be out pounding on the thing to make sure that is it breaks the warantee takes care of it.

Seriously, good luck with it; it seems to be quite the ride. What color?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no choice,I have only a 2 car garage so I need a lift.I'm getting a black convertible when they start delivering them.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the deal. First you need to find out if you have thick enough and strong enough concrete to hold a two post lift. In most cases residential garage floors are NOT capable of holding a 2 post lift and many times not thick enough for a four post. And that single post is really unlikely. Now when comparing Bendpak with other better quality lifts just compare the shipping weights. I looked up a low rise Bendpak two post and it ships at 1695 lbs, A comparable Challenger is 1975. That is an extra 200 plus pounds of steel helping to hold up your ride. This is not as important in a residential situation, but you are keeping it loaded all the time. There is a flood of Chinese lifts on the market and they tend to cut corners on steel quality and welds. You do get what you pay for, plus there is better resale on a quality lift. DISCLAIMER: I work for Snap On equipment and we own Challenger, but the numbers do not change. You need a professional to come in and survey your installation and then have it properly installed, this type of equipment is really not good for mail order/do-it-yourself. Anyone that would like me to help you out with a specific lift buy or other advice please feel free to PM me, I am limited to Northern VA so I probably can't sell you anything, but I'd be happy to advise you and point you to the best value for a lift.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Thanks for the input,The dealer is coming over next week to look at my garage and I think I will go with Challenger.I will also have him install it as this is his full time job a d e also provides service.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
Thanks for the input,The dealer is coming over next week to look at my garage and I think I will go with Challenger.I will also have him install it as this is his full time job a d e also provides service.
Sy. I have a 4 post Bendpak and a 2 post atlas in my garage. If you go 4 post thinks to look into extra wide, 109 between posts. You drive pick up on without pushing mirrors in, Can put a 102 wide trailer under lift. Also if you have room get the longest lift you can fit so crew cab pick up or want even will fit. I have 12 ft ceiling also, with Bendpak I can put car on lift and it will high enough to walk under without ducking I am 5'8". I put a 45 x 45. Morton building in the back yard and did a lot of homework putting garage together. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell number if you have any question.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

The dealer is going to tell why he prefers CHALLENGER and I will post the answer and possibly more discussion here.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
In most cases residential garage floors are NOT capable of holding a 2 post lift and many times not thick enough for a four post.

You need a professional to come in and survey your installation and then have it properly installed, this type of equipment is really not good for mail order/do-it-yourself.
If your floor can't hold a 4 post lift, wouldn't the 4 tires on your car crack the floor...? I've seen 4 post lifts out in grass fields at many car shows. I know the manufacturers all have specs you should follow, but you can't test concrete for it's thickness/PSI after it's poured because taking a sample at one spot doesn't mean it's the same in the whole concrete slab (unless you know it was poured that way.)

I've sold hundreds of lifts to regular DIY guys, my best suggestion would be opt for the 220 volt motor (and most BendPak lifts will also need a small amount of air pressure to disengage the locks.) Hardest part is usually getting the lift off the flatbed semi truck that pulls up to your house. If you don't have a way to get it off the flatbed on your own, it's usually easiest to call a tow truck with a boom to help unload it. Overall, it's not a very complicated tool, just big and heavy.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some 4 post lifts are designed to be moveable and self supporting. But if it has to bolt into the floor the floor must be strong enough to hold it ( this will typically not have cross bars up top.)
Old 11-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I would second the idea of having it professionally installed.

The guy that installed mine picked it up from the dock, assembled, installed and provided the hyd oil for $500. (I had the elec ready to go).
Saved me the price (and hassle) of renting something to unload the truck. Also the drill bits used to drill thru the concrete are close to $100 a piece and if you start hitting re-bar, you can go through 2 or 3 of them.

I do almost everything myself, but in this case it was well worth having it done by someone that had done many of them before.