WarPaint hit a channel marker

Notices

WarPaint hit a channel marker

Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Singapore-Boater
Dude, there are always channel markers on offshore race courses, and it has nothing to do with the course lenght. It was in the same place for all the practice days, the first start and they either had poor visibility, or memory. I suspect the former.

They have had some bad luck the last few years, but great group to chat with at races.
yep, we've raced around just about everything. That marker you just have to make a mental note of and factor it into your position when milling/starting. I've done that start several times and it kind of pinches in and can get crowded, seen the buoy up close. I can see how it can happen with anything more then a half a dozen boats coming up on plane, theres not a lot of room and with boat wash its hairy to say the least. Also bringing a canopied cat up on plane there a sizable "blackout" period where you have zero forward visibility. These guys are accustomed to the whole process and just had some bad luck it really sucks. Glad they are OK boats can be fixed (and yes that one is certainly fixable I've done much worse)

I suppose if they were in their old Apache they might have to just buff off a little green paint lol . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warpaint was in the rear of the milling and were coming up strong to get in the start line behind the pace boat. So much spray and water, even if they did see it, they probably wouldn't have been able to avoid at their speed and proximity to the other racers. We were watching from Pier House and it was a shame... Kudos to the team for at least leaving the boat in the wet pits for fans to see, as well as team CRC...
Old 11-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
An off the topic question;
Do the throttle men help when making turns by adding speed to one motor and lying back on the second?

Not typically. I asked Scott Begovich this exact question a few years ago.

The running joke on Sunset Pier during the Sunday races after they moved the corner closer to the pits by several hundred feet...
...was such that someone else was going to hit it and knock it back the other way.

Supposedly, they moved the turn, in due to sea-turtles on the course at the far end of the corner. However, the can was right in the apex of the turn. Qatar completely blew right by the turn on the first lap as both turbines were no where near that corner while milling, and could not tell where/how the turn had been modified unless such was radioed to them. SEVERAL boats scared some paint off of that same green can, and it's a damn wonder it was not hit again. It was not a good situation,
Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Come on guys post the GoPro videos already. If not the actual on-board, with all those camera mounts I noted, someone caught it in their footage from that start.

Main thing everyone is ok and saved the boat. There is plenty of time to fix her up this winter, so please share this "Bell Ringer" action. Then we can have a contest for the funniest caption to add..
Old 11-12-2013, 02:57 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Come on guys post the GoPro videos already. If not the actual on-board, with all those camera mounts I noted, someone caught it in their footage from that start.

Main thing everyone is ok and saved the boat. There is plenty of time to fix her up this winter, so please share this "Bell Ringer" action. Then we can have a contest for the funniest caption to add..
They were coming up from the rear so I don't think anyone else got a shot of it.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if its been posted or not but if you go to this link http://new.livestream.com/sbi/keywest2013
and watch the 5th video down from the top (titled "Race 2 Friday") @ 26:25 you'll see Warpaint hit the marker

go pro footage would be better but at least you can see it happen
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks for the link Nate.

After watching that, my submission: "Oh Crap, They Sure Have Big Manatees Down Here..."
Old 11-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

I trimmed one of my videos for just the start. You can see the marker before they hit it. Also, you can see how close they came to hitting Qatar 20 and why Qatar 20 started so far afterwards.

http://youtu.be/tyzkBcQ7RY8
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM
scarab
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive was not hurt the green can exited out the right side before the drive the bottom of the boat is all tore up
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by trc2
Drive was not hurt the green can exited out the right side before the drive the bottom of the boat is all tore up
Correct. At the time the video was made hitting a channel marker was NOT in the top 100 likely causes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.