Saltwater perception - your thoughts

Notices

Saltwater perception - your thoughts

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saltwater perception - your thoughts

It's funny how my perception on buying, owning or using a boat that was in saltwater has changed, I used to be like a lot of fresh water guys and feel that I would NEVER buy a saltwater boat, but since we've boated down here this past year my thoughts have changed.

Now I know there's lots of saltwater boats that are ate up, but that's mostly because the owner hasn't cleaned and maintained the boat properly, our Formula has been down here for one whole year now and we've put close to 100 hours on her and other than the outdrives aren't as shining as they used to be and they can be shined up again, (dahm, WD40) anyway, I flush it like crazy after EVERY use and wash 100% of it every week even if we use it or not.

So if I can keep a boat clean and mostly unaffected in saltwater I'm sure others can and do, even though I would be very picky which boat, I would buy a saltwater boat if it has been taken care of like I've done my Formula.

There's tons of multi-million dollar boats boating down here, so we all can't be wrong, can we............................your thoughts.

With this being said, I am looking to sell the Formula to go with a CC and outboards, much easy to clean and maintain.

Last edited by 314joey; 11-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont have closed cooling and at 100 hours their is more internal rust weather you flushed it or not...try removing a hose at the thermostat housing and you will see the corrosion already starting..the damage is internal...just my o2..
Old 11-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

I'm with you, I moved down here 4-5 years ago and I was worried. You pegged it... "other than the outdrives aren't as shining as they used to be" nothing has really changed that wouldnt have in Georgia on Lake Lanier.

I keep my boat stacked it is literally pulled out within 5 minutes and never stays in the water. My dock guys know I like it pulled immediately so I tip them extra. They get it out fast, spray it down and stack it. The funny part is I always go back the next day and spray the outdrives with the water displacement stuff in the green can similar to your WD 40 but then they look great!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
if you dont have closed cooling and at 100 hours their is more internal rust weather you flushed it or not...try removing a hose at the thermostat housing and you will see the corrosion already starting..the damage is internal...just my o2..
Not if its a 525, 496, etc. They are closed cooled. Its all copper. I've had my heat exchanger off and it looks as good as 5 years ago.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told when I had the nice new closed cooling/freshwater flush-outs installed that no saltwater gets to the engines, only the exhausts and they get flush out after every use.....................yes....................no.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

If you have the anti freeze tank next to the engine (pink fluid), then they are closed cooling and like you said, water only goes through the exhausts. However, if you have CMI headers and they crack like all 5 of ours did then the salt water will get into the engines and ruin them.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I think I'm all set-up, got the anti-freeze tanks all filled up right next to my 502s.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I see no issues with it. It's all about the owners care for the boat.

I am closed cooled so that helps but still. A owner who gives two craps about his boat will assure the steps are in place so that the boat gets cleaned and treated properly. It's usally pretty appearent on the ones who choose not to take that care.

I would buy either and I did. I bought a Salt boat and I would beg for anyone to come look it over and say that salt has doing anything worse to my boat than a fresh water one the same age. The previous owners took the needed steps to assure it's life just as I am doing too.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

salt away is apretty good product running in salt water going to get some corrision but proper flushing will heip
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Registered

In trying to sell mine, I get the question a lot.... But like many say, I flush and wash it after every use.. I take care of my stuff and go the extra steps to keep it in good shape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.