Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New Donzi Retail Pricing??? >

New Donzi Retail Pricing???

Notices

New Donzi Retail Pricing???

Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I just can't imagine they raised the 1350 / M8 by $55,000 each . The trend has seemed to be the prices go down as the engines have been on the market longer after they have likely covered all the R&D that went into them and now that they have proven to be booked on orders
Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless they are having trouble keeping them together under warranty as has been previously suggested in other threads?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That says last revised in 2012
Old 11-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

First of all, no one pays full MSRP. Second, Baja is fully capable of building a quality boat. Third, let's be glad that the brand name still exists! Finally, maybe someone or some group will purchase Donzi and start building them again.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just don't understand where they come up these prices. Its killing the sport. The average middle class person cannot boat anymore. I grew up on the Mullica River in NJ and back in the 80's and 90's the river was packed. On any given weekend there would be at least 50-100 boats or jetskis on the water. Now you are lucky to see 5-10. I know gas prices def have a effect but the cost to even purchase a used boat is insane.
Example when I graduted from HS in 1999 I purchased the baddest fastest jetski they made and it cost $5600.. now to purchase the same ski your looking at 15k.. Why can't they just produce that same ski or boat from 1999 for around the same price or within reason? Lets go back to basics.
It would seem like common sense if we can sell 1000 boats and lets say make 5,000 profit.. instead of 20 boats at 50k profit.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
First of all, no one pays full MSRP. Second, Baja is fully capable of building a quality boat. Third, let's be glad that the brand name still exists! Finally, maybe someone or some group will purchase Donzi and start building them again.
No one pays it but these princes are way too high even for MSRP especially for a company that has no sales as of late and is clearly struggling. A struggling business is not going to get people interested by posting ludicrous MSRP prices as the first thing they see. Even as much as I love Donzi, if I were in the market for a new 43ft boat and seeing the list price they have would make me say forget it and go look at Cigarette, OL, and Nor Tech. I'm curious if someone did decide to order a 43 or any Donzi for that matter if they could even do it in a decent time frame. They haven't built any in several years and the likely hood that they even have someone there that has ever seen a Zr built is highly unlikely.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Without weighing in on the sanity of the new price list, we must remember a couple of things. First, Donzi (along with Fountain, Pro Line, Baja, and many more) went bankrupt. Among other things, that meant it cost them more to build their products that they were charging customers to buy them. One way to fix that problem going forward might be to charge more. Yes, despite what the government might tell you, a real business needs to make money to survive.

The second thing we should probably all remember is that "easy money" lending practices coupled with the above mentioned issue led to many boat manufacturers being able to sell lots of boats to people who really couldn't afford them. Eventually, many of these folks lost their boats (had them repossessed) due to an inability to pay for them. This shouldn't have been a big surprise to anyone BTW.

So when you put these two issues (and many more) together, you end up with an unsustainable business model. Sad, but true.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To really put it in perspective a 43' priced at $1,099,000.00 comes out to $25,558.14 per foot. I"m all for made in the USA, but, it's way too much of a gouge. Time to have them made in China.

Good luck trying to get it for less than MSRP. You may be able to snag one at a boat show for slightly less, the dealer/mfr. would be happy to not have to haul it back and try to sell it for new after thousands of people have crawled all over it. Last experience I had it was pay it or leave it.

Unfortunately unless boats are mass produced they will continue to be one offs, which are by nature expensive. Builders who continue to gouge on prices will eventually run out of buyers and in turn have no choice but to shut down. If you take the ratio of the population who could afford a boat, then take that ratio and apply it to how many would be boaters, then further take that ratio of who would want a go fast and the numbers get really small. If you we're wanting to start a boat building business the stats wouldn't support the business plan here in the USA. It's just another race to the bottom.

Last edited by mike38scarab; 11-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.