Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Key West Civic Leaders Confident City Will Keep the SBI Worlds >

Key West Civic Leaders Confident City Will Keep the SBI Worlds

Notices

Key West Civic Leaders Confident City Will Keep the SBI Worlds

Old 11-22-2013, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tampa CW area seem to do a good job with the Super Bowl.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
How many show up for the races in KW?

As for Clearwater being a small sleepy place, look at a map! Since I was a kid people have went there for vacations, and as said st Pete/ Tampa is right there.

I love KW but it will come down to money,,,,,,,
I think people forget Clearwater is part of the st.pete/tampa area.....it's not a small town outside of it.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Key West isnt the largest crowd on the circuit becouse of the races, its no seceret why it draws the crowds.I REALLY hate to see it go but its certainly not going to change my November plans.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I went to Clearwater Beach for a vacation in May of 2012. Had a blast and the place had plenty of activity every night. Stayed at the Sand Pearl. Plenty to do within walking distance. It may not be Key West but it also isn't a bunch of blue hairs playing bingo.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LV
Key West isnt the largest crowd on the circuit becouse of the races, its no seceret why it draws the crowds.I REALLY hate to see it go but its certainly not going to change my November plans.
Not to be a dick but I think Clearwater actually draws the biggest crowd now of any race on the year and that's why the idea to move it came along.

The spectator boat fleet remains the largest on the Super Boat International circuit, Aungst said, topping out at over 5,500 boats along the length of the course, with over 40,000 people enjoying the action from the Gulf.

Early estimates also indicate that the Sunday race event drew a record crowd of up to 75,000 people on the beach, Pier 60 and in the hotels and condos, said Aungst.
taken from this article.

http://clearwatergazette.com/article...ICLE/131009999

I could be wrong but I don;t think KW gets a crowd that big although I do know the crowd is large.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I went to Clearwater Beach for a vacation in May of 2012. Had a blast and the place had plenty of activity every night. Stayed at the Sand Pearl. Plenty to do within walking distance. It may not be Key West but it also isn't a bunch of blue hairs playing bingo.
Yup

Also Tampa is the strip club capital of the US......don't think it's the grey hairs keeping them open.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what everyone's attraction is to KW. I just spent 10 days and 9 nights there during race week and I won't go back again anytime soon. Yes it is nice there, but to me a bar is a bar is a bar. There are bars everywhere you go and I am sure there are some great ones in CW. KW is nothing but a giant tourist trap, and with the exception of maybe the Hogfish (not even KW technically) and the Conch Republic Seafood Co., the food sucks. The races were good the first couple days but by Sunday it was like watching paint dry. There are not many boats, and the pits looked like a bad neighborhood garage sale. As for the poker run crowd, yeah the boats are cool but they are scattered all over and half of the people seem to be a bunch of stuck up *******s with more money than manners. The biggest kick my GF and I got was sitting at the Conch Seafood Co. and watching some of these guys with their 300+K boats trying to dock them or even back them up! we watched a guy in a Cig try for no less than 20 minutes to back into a huge empty slip. There wasn't even any wind to speak of. Did we have a good time? Yeah, but after spending over 5K on a 10 day vacation I wouldn't do it again. If it moved to CW I may shoot over for a day/night from Daytona and check it out, but going forward I'll take my vacation and go do 5 or 6 days at Bikeweek. Seems like if you don't have a 150mph cat that costs half a mill that you are looked down at like you have a Bayliner. Lots of fake people and fake titties if you want my blue collar opinion.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

In terms of fan count, KW is a small crowd. In terms of KNOWLEDGE about racing the crowd is the strongest.

The racers should go where the fans and POSSIBLE sponsorship dollars are located. The poker run crowd will go where the vacation/party is located. Neither one needs the other.

I will be in KW and also be delighted if the rooms and crowd are a bit less than normal.

If SBI does move to CW they should pick a different weekend. They may help themselves on boat count as a few of the racers also do the PR.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
In terms of fan count, KW is a small crowd. In terms of KNOWLEDGE about racing the crowd is the strongest.

The racers should go where the fans and POSSIBLE sponsorship dollars are located. The poker run crowd will go where the vacation/party is located. Neither one needs the other.

I will be in KW and also be delighted if the rooms and crowd are a bit less than normal.

If SBI does move to CW they should pick a different weekend. They may help themselves on boat count as a few of the racers also do the PR.
No argument here. Great post all around that has a lot of truths to it.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Yup

Also Tampa is the strip club capital of the US......don't think it's the grey hairs keeping them open.
Lol! Been years since I got the wife to go into a club with me. Now when I bring it up I just get the eye roll!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.