Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Epic remote control helicopter video...... >

Epic remote control helicopter video......

Notices

Epic remote control helicopter video......

Old 12-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunHome
That could completely change Offshore Racing videos!! Can you imagine one of these at every turn in Key West?! AWESOME!!
Standby Brad, but that was what i was hoping for
Old 12-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch out they have a tendency fly off all by themselfs LOL
Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Level III Chaos
Amazing.....two days from internet order to at my door direct from China via DHL. Crazy!!! I really like the name of this thing too........Phantom 2. Where have I heard that name before? LOL
Where exactly did you buy it from? My wife was getting me one from a hobby shop. I'm sure the price is high.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Where exactly did you buy it from? My wife was getting me one from a hobby shop. I'm sure the price is high.
On their website.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision/
Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Banned

Looks like Amazon has it too

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Qu...7216946&sr=1-2

REVIEWS

http://www.amazon.com/product-review...owViewpoints=1

Last edited by Level III Chaos; 12-16-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I got mine from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. I got extra blades and battery pack along with a Pelican case etc... I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
I got mine from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. I got extra blades and battery pack along with a Pelican case etc... I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!
Maybe they will start delivering drones via drones.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered

I have two multi-copters, a tiny micro quad and a larger octocopter I'm in the process of building. To answer some of the questions, they are not easy enough to fly (well) that anyone can go buy one and be proficient with it right out of the box without significant previous experience... Even with the new flight controlers with GPS, they definitely take practice to be able to make decent videos, and it's pretty likely you'll crash it while learning. And yes, the larger quad's (say 500mm+), hexa's, octo's, etc can be very dangerous! The rotor blades can be 10"-14", are very sharp, and spin at ~8,000 RPM, enough to possibly kill someone.

They typically don't fly fast enough to run with our boats at speed, at least not long enough to get much footage anyway. Range can be a few hundred feet to many many miles with some LRS. Depending on model, batteries, and payload (camera), most don't fly for much more than 5-15 minutes... some will do up to 20 min, but that's def not the norm. They are not waterproof and will be destroyed if dipped in saltwater, and possible freshwater as well. There's at least one company out there making a dedicated multi-copter for use around water, but I have not looked into the details (just saw a video on you tube). The noise from the camera's POV is significant, if you want decent audio you would need to run a remote lead down well away from the rotors... otherwise the audio will sound like a swarm of bees, literally.

Someone also asked about FPV or "First Person View". Yes, there are systems out there that allow you to fly/view from a camera mounted on the multi. You view through goggles or an LCD screen.

The Phantom (1) is probably the most popular quad out there for basic AP (aerial photography)... It's no where near pro gear, but it's a nice canned package for the money. There are a ton of them out there on the used market too. The Blade 350 QX is another one to look at. The Phantom 2 was just released and now includes an integrated HD camera with much better flight time, but at around twice the cost. A far superior multi can be built, and often for much less, but the canned systems are nice for someone that doesn't want to put the time and effort into doing this. True pro level rigs can be bought with ready to go 3 axis gimbles that will carry a pro level DSLR, but these machines are very costly, usually in the $12,000 to $25,000 range. Nice consumer level rigs that will mimic the pro level stuff run around $3,000 to $10,000 for very nice stuff.

Last edited by SS930; 12-16-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lotopa.com
nice interested to hear how u like it, I ordered a tarot t-960 hexacopter yesterday, but with assembly and training I'm looking around jan 15….. but it will pack 30 lbs for 20 min flights and a go pro for 1 hour 12 min…..
I'm not saying you're not correct, but that all sounds unheard of based on what I've seen out there today.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Registered

I told them I wanted 10 min with my dslr and 20 with a go pro, so I am hoping not to be disappointed…..its a 100% satisfaction ( or no Pay ) agreement ( in writing lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.