Notices

cummins -- Konrad package

Old 12-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Default cummins -- Konrad package

Looks like cummins and Konrad have gotten together with a package up to 425hp. Too bad they would take it a bit further to the 520HP mark to be in game with the pleasure boat crowd and not just the workboat/ cruiser crowd....

http://www.marinelink.com/news/partn...ion361845.aspx
Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i would imagine, that you could make more power with that package, they are set up to run lean for clean emissions....
Old 12-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 269 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh I think we can all agree that it would be easy to make more power.

Prob is the Konrad drives will not be able to handle the power, even though they are nice units, just not quite nice enough to keep up with the demands of us performance boaters
Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to build my next center console with the 550hp Cummins or 560hp FPT paired to X Power drives
Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 362 Likes on 207 Posts

I was wondering when this news would come out and reach the forum....
Old 12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There's presently well over 2000 Cummins/Konrad packages in service world wide. This new package is fitted with the 600 series drive unit. 6" diameter upper gears, 20" dia single prop, twin 16" or 20" dia twin prop,13 qt oil capacity. There's several hundred in service at this time with fantastic results.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

"Oh I think we can all agree that it would be easy to make more power.
Prob is the Konrad drives will not be able to handle the power, even though they are nice units, just not quite nice enough to keep up with the demands of us performance boaters"

I am not trying to be a d!ck but is your statement based on experience with Konrad drives?

Last edited by Lee; 12-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 269 Likes on 93 Posts

Well dick..... based on my tremendous amount of drive research. Talking with Konrad multiple times on the phone and during the Miami boat show. They do not offer a high enough HP rating to keep up with us performance boaters.

Its all good here not mad that you questioned just poking back at ya. Konrad has some great drives when used in the power range recommended. Arneson...imco...x_power all offer aftermarket alternatives with higher ratings then Konrad's.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand what happened now, your definition of "performance boaters" is obviously at a much higher level than mine. We ran Konrad drives on a race boat with anywhere between 600hp and supercat engines for 4yrs straight running both OPA and SBI races and doing poker runs between the races, and never had 1 single outdrive problem period.
I agree, we were within the manufacturer recommended HP range but we absolutely punished them more than any, by my definition "performance boater" could ever dream of.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it would be nice if Konrad offered a Twin Vertical shaft with a strong lower unit that had a #6 prop shaft!!

But since they don't i have to agree, Konrad does not make a drive strong enough to keep up with us!! I am looking to take my Konrads off my boat just not sure what direction I am going.... Probably be a #6 drive.