Notices

Pier 57 surveyor

Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew from SC to Pier 57 last winter with a good friend who happens to be a Merc mechanic to inspect a boat. I had put down a deposit and had financing in place. I was told by the salesman at Pier 57 that the motors had never been opened and were factory sealed. Upon arrival it was obvious this was not true. We started doing a compression test and found a couple bad cylinders on the starboard motor. I confronted the sales person about this and they knew about the problem. They had already done a compression test and knew of the issue. I also planned this trip weeks in advance and the night before my flight I was called by the sales person requesting proof of insurance from my mechanic, so he could work on the boat. Of course he was able to provide this information but when we arrived no one ever asked for it. I know there will always be issues with a used boat,car or home but when you ask specific questions and are lied to it really is frustrating. Scott did send me an email after the fact admitting they screwed up and mis represented the boat and also sent me pictures showing the motor being repaired. The fact remains that I was out a couple grand in travel expenses to view the boat and sales person still works for Pier 57. I know a lot of people have had good experiences at a Pier 57 but I'm not one.

Greg
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pier57.com
I am sorry you feel this way.

Your friend you are referring to bought a 1984 419 Formula from us in February 2012.

When he bought boat he knew it was sold as is on consignment and came and inspected the boat. It was very cold and he did not run on lake only hoses.

When he bought boat he knew that the owner we were selling for had the motors gone thru which we disclosed but we did not contract or have anything to do with the rebuild and were selling on consignment. Everything was handled by owner of boat in terms of rebuild. The boat and trailer was purchased for not much more than you are claiming we screwed him for as an FYI.

About a month after he bought boat he contacted Greg Weber at our office to tell him how happy he was with boat. In December 2013 this month almost 2 years after he bought boat he sent us threatening letter re: his motors needing work but yet we have not heard anything for almost two years.

His boat is almost 29 years old and motors were rebuilt two years ago. I explained to your friend that the boat did not and does not have a warranty and also gave him name and email of customer that had engines that we sold boat for to see if he wanted to contact him.

We are sorry he had a few problems. It was and is a nice boat that will always need some work.

We work hard to do what's best and goodwill a lot, not everything and in this situation, there was nothing else we could do.

Regards,

Scott Sjogren
Pier 57
ww.pier57.com
Dear Scott,
I purchased the 1984 Formula 402 from you, and I don't know formulabill who was talking about his friend that he claims you screwed. I sent you the "threatening letter" you have my permission to post that letter and any communications I have had with you on this site. As I stated in my letter my issue was with the representation your business made regarding the engines and as I stated in the first paragragh I understood that I bought the boat as is where is. Facts are Greg told me on the phone and in your shop that you had the top end of the engines rebuild. Your ad on Your website stated and I quote
"Motors were leaked down and compression tested last spring bottoms were fine, heads were weak so WE just had the heads redone.
Carbs rebuilt
basically EVERYTHING gone through
these are bone stock 420 hp drives 100% rebuilt
boat runs great"
Also while at your shop Greg told me while negotiating the price that you could not go any lower because the owner owed you over $8,000. for the work you did on the engines and drives.
I spoke with Greg soon after purchasing and hauling the boat back to Texas. and yes I told him I was happy and looking forward to getting it in the water, as I spent 2 months going over below waterline issues before putting it in the water for the first time in May 2012, Which I expected to have to do a lot of work to this boat being almost 30 years old and my previous boat being a 1985 formula 302. and I did spend the next 2 years redoing most everything one this boat mechanically and electrically and I expected that, What I did not expect was having to spend the time and money on the engines . I relied on your reputation to be honest. This boat that 'Runs Great" would not go over 40 mph I tried everything prior to tearing the engines down in Aug. this year and finding the **** job done on the top end of these engines. and once I got it running right I sent you that letter. Yes it has been a while I live 55 miles from the lake and only have a couple weekend a month I can get up there them have to order parts and tools to do repairs and check out problems it takes a while. and the total I showed you that I spent on the starboard engine was $2,000. and I expect the Port engine to cost me the same .I did all the work my self with the exception of the head work done by Derrebery Performance Marine
I never threatened to sue you over this. I hoped you would step up to the plate. I relied on your reputation and representations when buying this boat.
Chris Bennett
Old 12-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

I am sorry you had problems with the boat that you bought. It has been almost two years since you bought the boat and I still have not personally heard from you other than the letter that you sent which I felt had a threatening tone. The boat was bought as a consignment boat and all the mechanical work done to the motors was handled by the owner of the boat and his builder, all we did was put the motors back in for him at his request. We do not wish boat problems for any of our customers including you but sometimes these boats do have problems. You can always pick up the phone and call 847-336-9037 or have notified me over the past 22 months you have owned the boat. Once I received your letter I responded immediately and told you there was nothing we could and copied the owner who owned the boat and contracted the work outside of us to see if there was anything he wanted to do.

Hate to see threads re: where to get a surveyor get this way but it's an open forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

At the end of the day, all we do have is our reputation and we work very hard in a very tough industry to maintain high standards and do the right thing but when a engine mfg only offers a one year warranty on a brand new motor and most rebuilders only offer a one year or one season warranty on a rebuilt motor it is very tough for a dealer to just step in and take over that position. We ran this boat with another perspective buyer with snowmobile suits and helmets on because it was so darn cold out and and it ran fine we are not sure where it went array or why we have heard of no problems.

My truck recently ran out of warranty and the condensor on A/C took a crap. I asked the FORD dealer I bought it from if they would do anything as I was only out of warranty on a 2010 by 2K miles, they said no. I thought, well I asked. Not sure what they would say if I brought something more than 2 years after I bought it that didn't have a warranty when I did buy it but confident answer would have been the same. Now, if I took truck home knowing it did not have warranty, had a problem right away after I bought it, I would have called dealer and I would think the dealer may helped in some way or offered to take truck on trade. Same would apply with me, if you would have called with problem almost two years ago, we would have said Chris, bring it here, we will give you your money back or trade you out of boat if seller does not want to pay to fix.

We may not make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, but darn I/we try, try real hard but there is a line between being threatened with a forum board and doing the right thing and we have always tried to do the right thing.

I have and always will have an OPEN DOOR policy. We try very hard to get every consumer to order a structural and mechanical survey on any boat they buy whether us or someone else. Why, these boats in most cases do not have a warranty and if there is a problem, we would like the opportunity to fix, correct or agree it will be sold the way it is with the consumer to avoid things like this.

My/our apologies if you think we have done you wrong.

Regards,

Scott Sjogren

Pier 57

ww.pier57.com

Last edited by TeamShogren.com; 12-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought my Cigarette from Pier 57 it was a great experience.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I bought my Donzi from Pier 57 before the merger and the experience was also great.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Pier57.com
Chris,

I am sorry you had problems with the boat that you bought. It has been almost two years since you bought the boat and I still have not personally heard from you other than the letter that you sent which I felt had a threatening tone. The boat was bought as a consignment boat and all the mechanical work done to the motors was handled by the owner of the boat and his builder, all we did was put the motors back in for him at his request. We do not wish boat problems for any of our customers including you but sometimes these boats do have problems. You can always pick up the phone and call 847-336-9037 or have notified me over the past 22 months you have owned the boat. Once I received your letter I responded immediately and told you there was nothing we could and copied the owner who owned the boat and contracted the work outside of us to see if there was anything he wanted to do.

Hate to see threads re: where to get a surveyor get this way but it's an open forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

At the end of the day, all we do have is our reputation and we work very hard in a very tough industry to maintain high standards and do the right thing but when a engine mfg only offers a one year warranty on a brand new motor and most rebuilders only offer a one year or one season warranty on a rebuilt motor it is very tough for a dealer to just step in and take over that position. We ran this boat with another perspective buyer with snowmobile suits and helmets on because it was so darn cold out and and it ran fine we are not sure where it went array or why we have heard of no problems.

My truck recently ran out of warranty and the condensor on A/C took a crap. I asked the FORD dealer I bought it from if they would do anything as I was only out of warranty on a 2010 by 2K miles, they said no. I thought, well I asked. Not sure what they would say if I brought something more than 2 years after I bought it that didn't have a warranty when I did buy it but confident answer would have been the same. Now, if I took truck home knowing it did not have warranty, had a problem right away after I bought it, I would have called dealer and I would think the dealer may helped in some way or offered to take truck on trade. Same would apply with me, if you would have called with problem almost two years ago, we would have said Chris, bring it here, we will give you your money back or trade you out of boat if seller does not want to pay to fix.

We may not make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, but darn I/we try, try real hard but there is a line between being threatened with a forum board and doing the right thing and we have always tried to do the right thing.

I have and always will have an OPEN DOOR policy. We try very hard to get every consumer to order a structural and mechanical survey on any boat they buy whether us or someone else. Why, these boats in most cases do not have a warranty and if there is a problem, we would like the opportunity to fix, correct or agree it will be sold the way it is with the consumer to avoid things like this.

My/our apologies if you think we have done you wrong.

Regards,

Scott Sjogren

Pier 57

ww.pier57.com
First my apologies to rleestma for getting your thread off track.

Scott
I did not threaten anyone with a forum board, I put my 2 cents in to be careful and don't believe a word they say! If I was an *** I could have started a thread with your web ads, letters and pictures, I did not. I contacted you via e-mail. I am sure you cannot oversee everything that happens in your business. Had it been disclosed to me that the previous owner did the work (which it was not) we would never have had this discussion, and I stated that in my letter to you. If you feel I threatened you in any way then post my letter. I also knew when buying the boat that it would be a 4 - 5 yr. project and have had many issues I had to fix and that is part of buying an older boat. The boat is docked 55 miles from home, I have to order parts, order tools, wait for them to ship, then drive up to the lake. I do most all of the work myself so it takes time. As I stated until I tore into the engine in Aug. this year and got the boat back on the water in November. I could only guess at the problem.
Top speed prior was 40mph now at 50 mph same props and still have the other engine to do.
I don't expect anyone to warranty a boat engine for 2 years. What I do expect is truth which did not happen. You web page ad which I sent you a copy along with my letter states you did the engine work. Your employee told me on the phone and at your shop that you did the engine work. I relied on that representation and your reputation in making my decision. Now your reply is we had nothing to do with the engines but installing them. DID YOU READ THE COPY OF YOUR WEB AD THAT I SENT YOU?
Apparently Millerime had a similar experience.
The phone works both ways if you would like to discuss this you have my number.
Chris Bennett
Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chattviper
A first class organization from the front office to the back door. Always been honest and more than fair in my dealings with Pier57. I've had several transactions with them and have recommend to numerous satisfied customers.
I have bought, sold, traded and dealt with Pier57 and Shogren Marine both before and after the merger and have numerous friends that have done business with them as well. They are and have always been top notch and completely honest and forthcoming. Now if there has ever been anyone who worked there that may not have been 100% honest... I can't tell you?? but if you deal with Scott or his current staff you can be sure that he will tell you everything he knows and what he doesn't. You are buying a used boat and should realize that. I bought my MTI and had a bunch of issues mechanically but that isn't anyone's fault and it sure isn't Pier57. They told me what they knew and I made an informed decision. Everything else I fixed and love my boat. Again, a first class organization and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a HP boat!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by gofastlvr
I have bought, sold, traded and dealt with Pier57 and Shogren Marine both before and after the merger and have numerous friends that have done business with them as well. They are and have always been top notch and completely honest and forthcoming. Now if there has ever been anyone who worked there that may not have been 100% honest... I can't tell you?? but if you deal with Scott or his current staff you can be sure that he will tell you everything he knows and what he doesn't. You are buying a used boat and should realize that. I bought my MTI and had a bunch of issues mechanically but that isn't anyone's fault and it sure isn't Pier57. They told me what they knew and I made an informed decision. Everything else I fixed and love my boat. Again, a first class organization and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a HP boat!
It is about making an informed decision. They told me they did the heads, their web ad states they did the heads. Upon inspecting the boat the top end had clearly been redone new gaskets, fresh silicone ect. When I contacted them about the poor quality and mismatched parts used to do the heads now they state that they did not do the head work.

http://www.pier57.com/web/used/Formu...linois/2466295

Chris Bennett
Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

But two years passed.....
Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
But two years passed.....
Fact is they LIED to me, and if you read all the posts I'm not the only one! It does not matter if it is 1 month or 5 years later, they lied and I called them out on it. Their reputation is not what it used to be. If you're going to do business that way, you deserve to be called out on it. End of story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.