Notices

would you pay?????

Old 12-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

If the builder did not trust the customer he should have a signed estimate for teardown expenses just in case the customer backs out of the build.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

If the builder want to try and pull some bs about the customer was on a waiting list and thats why it took so long again there should be a signed estimate with a date of when his engines teardown was scheduled to be completed.

If the builder can just charge a customer whatever they want he might as well build some complete 540s and hold the engines hostage till the customer pays the bill?

Where does it end.....

Without a signed estimate the builder has no legal right to charge for any work done...PERIOD.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SABER28
told me cash only. being fair there is two short blocks. but no oil pans, timing covers, balancers, cams, timing chains, flywheels. just 16 pistons and 2 cranks. no way he has one hour in them. in three plus months. on pace to have them done in april...... 2016
So there was only blocks, cranks, rods and pistons? All they did was remove the rods and pistons and crankshaft from 2 blocks? If so, you are looking at certianly no more than 1 hour each. When we take them apart, we will measure the crank, measure the bores, measure the pistons and set up the dial bore gauge to check piston clearance, etc. It takes a little time to set up the gauge and check everything. If he removed the pistons from the rods, then that should add another hour per engine. That's 4 hours total. We are at $70/hr. so you are looking at $280. Their rate may be higher than mine, but it really shouldn't be over 4-5 hours if he did remove the pistons from the rods and there was no accessories and tin to remove.

I'm not that far from Michigan and would be more than happy to help. We would be glad to do them or offer you any advice and assistance along the way if you choose to do them yourself.
Eddie
Old 12-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

pay the 400 bucks,get your parts,then let the oso brotherhood know who the shop is so nobody else gets the same treatment you got.then take them to eddie young.

Last edited by mike tkach; 12-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by brian41
I am a builder/rigger so I will look at from our side. You never posted how far torn down the engines were when you brought them to him. Where there any accessories or was it just bare blocks with cranks and rods? Like somebody mentioned he had to mount them on stands and tear them down. Did he clean the blocks/parts or prep them in any way? My machine shop charges me $100.00 each just to jet wash them and I do it before and after I bring them to him, this has piss me off for the 25 years I have been using him.You mentioned he removed the pistons from the rods, have you personally ever done this much work to 2 engines in 1 hour? Did you mention "no hurry" when dropped off? If so thats a death sentence if said to a high traffic/busy shop owner that has other clients that know better than to say such a thing. I have had customers that drop their boats off in the fall and want to wait till after the first of the year to get started, by then I am into other projects that might put their project into the up coming boating season. Its a balancing act that is hard to control.

Without all the facts and "the other side of the story" its hard to take a side.
look above your post. just 16 pistons and 2 cranks. no cleaning, nothing else.

i explained clearly want my goals are and im very detailed in what i am asking to be done. i own a body shop, i know the importance of time lines, being clear on what im paying for, and what i expect. when you bring a job to us we give you a realistic timeline and if we tell you 2 weeks it will be done in two weeks.

and yes i could easily do that work in a hour. ive built plenty of motors.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
So there was only blocks, cranks, rods and pistons? All they did was remove the rods and pistons and crankshaft from 2 blocks? If so, you are looking at certianly no more than 1 hour each. When we take them apart, we will measure the crank, measure the bores, measure the pistons and set up the dial bore gauge to check piston clearance, etc. It takes a little time to set up the gauge and check everything. If he removed the pistons from the rods, then that should add another hour per engine. That's 4 hours total. We are at $70/hr. so you are looking at $280. Their rate may be higher than mine, but it really shouldn't be over 4-5 hours if he did remove the pistons from the rods and there was no accessories and tin to remove.

I'm not that far from Michigan and would be more than happy to help. We would be glad to do them or offer you any advice and assistance along the way if you choose to do them yourself.
Eddie
there was no measurements done, that was the first thing i wanted to know, do i need to bore, turn cranks etc.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Then it should have been an hour a piece to tear them down......tops. Did they remove the pistons from the rods?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just pay the guy the money... who cares for 400 hun it's not worth the aggrevation...... and chalk it up to bad exp... sux but cheaper in the long run
Old 12-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Then it should have been an hour a piece to tear them down......tops. Did they remove the pistons from the rods?
yes, they are floating pins correct?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hopper
just pay the guy the money... who cares for 400 hun it's not worth the aggrevation...... and chalk it up to bad exp... sux but cheaper in the long run
he wasted my time in a major way. plus i think its too much. if this was me i would be too embarrassed to ask for anything. paying $400 just rewards bad behavior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.