Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury 1350 / 1100  what do you guys think? >

Mercury 1350 / 1100 what do you guys think?

Notices

Mercury 1350 / 1100 what do you guys think?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
What's he seeing with that package, 127-130 mph? (sorry to get OT...)
I remember seeing a video he made. I'm pretty sure it was 120+!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtremeracing
You can have a nice pr of 800 hp motors built today for about $100,000 , good solid running engines on pump gas with low compression. Merc is way over priced ....
You're paying way too much at that price. Two 556 big blocks putting out 720hp cost my dad 40,000$. That was the last build. They were dyno tested and tuned on a DTS dyno.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
You're paying way too much at that price. Two 556 big blocks putting out 720hp cost my dad 40,000$. That was the last build. They were dyno tested and tuned on a DTS dyno.
that sounds like a deal, who is the builder? 20K a piece?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by noli
that sounds like a deal, who is the builder? 20K a piece?
Engine Research, Cobden, Ontario. Was a deal for my dad, as it was about the 100th engine give or take he'd built for him or through him. We supplied the parts and he did the build. He builds primarily across Ontario and into New York as well as Pennsylvania dealing with DIRT and World of Outlaws.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
My buddy John had over 200 hrs on his 1350's in his 50' Marauder without a hiccup.

To get 200 hrs on my old boat would have taken 12 rebuilds!
Thanks for that informative post, hope more will follow and tell us how the new stuff is performing. It's interesting.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Big power... Go Merc!!!!
May be more expensive up front but the reliability and resale value make it well worth it!
Big power can be built by Chief, Young, Sterling and at least a dozen others with MUCH better support than MERC. PHUCK MERC and the horses ass they rode in on that were powered buy somone else! Gino I understand your situation where as you may sell a 500k boat after a year. Butt if a buyer believes that only Merc powered boats are worth X$ and one powered by Chief is worth substantually less did not do their homework before purchase. I would much rather have Tommy on the other end of the line if I was have issues with my power than Merc, if you could get them to answer the phone without a credit card #.
How about 400 hrs on a set of home freshened 1300 hp Sterlings with Mooneyham blowers and carbs. 25k to rebuild! 40k conservatively to rebuild both yourself! I also realize the players at this level can afford to hire somone to do the dirty work, rebuild.
Being a lowly gubment employee I had to learn how to rebuild my powerheads (225 promax) myself with next to nothing from merc! Merc wants $45.00 for an o-ring for a vos tank.!!!!!!! I threw away the vos tank ,redundant fuel pump and setup a simpler and way more cost effective system.That's the only way I can afford to play with the "Cool kids" like you.
Congrats on the 25 yrs of sobriety!! Thats one hell of an accomplishmnet. Let me know when Rodman has Kim young whatever over for a beer. I have a present for the both of them!

Last edited by bulletbob; 12-18-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

would you have pics of your promax rebuild?

Would luv to see 'em
Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

As a guy that has owned both Mercury and other brands. I'll say when the day comes and I buy another boat, I will only consider and buy a Merc powered boat. I think Merc warranty and comunication sucks but they are the best product. I'd rather get a product that lasts twice as long then a product that I have great comunication with the builder. I buy a motor to boat not to talk with the builder.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
As a guy that has owned both Mercury and other brands. I'll say when the day comes and I buy another boat, I will only consider and buy a Merc powered boat. I think Merc warranty and comunication sucks but they are the best product. I'd rather get a product that lasts twice as long then a product that I have great comunication with the builder. I buy a motor to boat not to talk with the builder.
So their warranty and commo sucks and you still want to be a customer?They are the best product out there? Lasts twice as long? I won't ask who your previous builders were. Building reliable motors isn't rocket science. I got away from high performance outboards (pre 300xs) to spend more time boating than wrenching. This past season was only LU fluid changes (less than a quart). I didn't even change the plugs. 100 mph is fast enough for me in my Talon.
I've been trying to get my friend to dump his old Mooneyham blower motors for some EFI, NA BBCs' in his 36 Skater. I bet he hasn't run 150+ twice since 2012, but, those beasts like attention $$$$$. To each his own.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bulletbob
So their warranty and commo sucks and you still want to be a customer?They are the best product out there? Lasts twice as long? I won't ask who your previous builders were. Building reliable motors isn't rocket science.
BB, I agree wholeheartedly with you that there are some top shelf engine guys out there. The thread starter would like to know what people think about the new Mercury Racing engines. To my limited knowledge none of the Top guys are producing them, they are a new tech, clean sheet of paper if you will. I also would like to hear from people in the know how they are performing. Good/bad whatever.
Ed

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 12-18-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.