Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery....
Old 08-11-2002, 09:54 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mike merola
wow ,look at the car
Has anyone, besides C-Spray, ever seen the construction of one of these things. I have seen several ground up builds during my years with Dick Simon. If you could construct aboat this way OMG it's the ****....Carbon Fiber with Kevlar inlays and an aluminum honey comb that will flatten when exerted from side but when it is the coring in these cars they withstand 200 mph impacts to a point. The rear end bumper for lack of a more explainable term will withstand a 10 g impact and not shred the car to pieces. And I have definitely seen them stress tested.

Sean
Old 08-11-2002, 09:55 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the looks he went into the wall at speed head on!!!!
Old 08-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of amazing how well the car looks after that impact. I bet a 1950 lead slead caddy would be crushed beyond recognition. His car looks like they could slap a new nose on it and go out again.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i feel really bad for him... i used to race toyota atlantics against many current CART/ IRL stars... but as the instructors a skip barber say O.S.B... other sports beckon
Old 08-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ron

I thought the excact same thing.

Maxximus
Old 08-11-2002, 10:39 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish him a complete recovery....BUT

Rumrunner......What do you mean that "No one here, or anywhere has the right to comment on his abilities to be in a race car or boat."?

The guy is a dreadful driver............................

And I have every "right" to say it. This is still a free society, no matter what NBC or politically correct educators would have you believe. In addition, he almost killed some boat racers I happen to know and respect.

T2x
Old 08-11-2002, 10:39 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This was a BIG, BIG hit

The structural damage to that car is very significant. What you don't see in that picture is the 2 1/2 to 3 feet of the car that is missing- just smashed off. The detachable nose is about half of that amount, immensely strong, and is designed to telescope into itself in a controlled manner to absorb A LOT of energy. (When I mean a lot, let me put it this way - you can hit the nose of an Indy car with a 10 lb sledge hammer and not put a big dent into it.) Not only is the nose cone gone, but the chassis has been damaged through the front bulkhead, the crush space, the pedal bulkhead, and all the way into the footwell. This explains the foot injuries. The damage extends even further back into the lower leg area.
The spinal injury is probably a result of gigantic deceleration numbers, probably in the 100's of G's. Even worse, it is clear that these G forces were sustained for a relatively "long" period by accident standards - probably several tenths of a second. In this G range, it is very difficult to get the entire body to decelerate evenly, creating stresses between the various parts. Even if you can get the entire person to slow down evenly, you still have problems with the internal organs (including the brain) colliding with the inside of the body. Besides the listed injuries (serious enough), Jason is going to be a very, very sore boy for several weeks. Still - he has benefitted from the knowledge learned from the misfotune of those who went before - Rick Mears, Jim Crawford, Nelson Piquet, Stan Fox, and others who sustained horrible foot and leg injuries as people learned and technology was applied to the problem. If he had done this in a 1990-vintage car, he would be Jello.

Quick Reply: J.P. in serious cond./crash in Kentucky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.