Notices

29 Fever input needed.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29 Fever input needed.

Hello everyone and thanks for reading as this is my first post. Im brand new here, and to the high performance boat market. I have quite a bit of boating experience, fishing and pleasure, and have been and still am a member of The Hull Truth. This forum has got alot of recognition from THT as the "Go Fast Boat" forum to be at, so here I am. Like the title says im in the market for a 29 fever. Here is what I have come to believe I want in the boat. Early 2000 model, 500EFI not the 525(don't want to deal with the header issues). I have inquired into about all of them for sale east of the Mississippi and I notice most have the Bravo XR drive. There is on for sale at Pier 57, looks nice in the photo's, but does not have the XR drive, just a Bravo 1. Is this a concern to anyone? I am also looking for any first hand info on the 500EFI that I should be aware of, and also the 29 fever itself. From all the research I can do this seems to be the power to have with the boat unless one becomes available with the 575SCi. I am looking to run this boat in the GOM probably 100% of the time, so my other question is with regular maintenance and allot of fresh water cleaning after each use, how will the boat and motor hold up for the long haul? I clean and service my CC thoroughly after each use, eight years old and it still looks and runs new. I am hoping for the same quality reliability with the fever with the same care. In short if anyone can assist me I thank you in advance.

Jim,

Tampa Florida
Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Registered

welcome ! the 29 fever is a really cool boat imo . i considered a 27 before i got my 25 AT . from the little i know of the 500hp , i think you need to make sure the top end is gone through around 250 hours . that may not be the right amount of hours but someone will correct me if its wrong . i would make sure a mechanic does a compression test before buying it . as far as the drive goes i think it should be fine with a 500hp . just curious what other boats have you considered buying ?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

The 29 can be hard on drives, baby it out of the hole... I've got one with a 575. One major failure but other than that all good. You could be fine with a normal B1 for the power, but it's a weight problem, there is a lot of load on that drive with this boat. Plus where I'm able to baby it out of the hole, Im able to do that with the 575, you might have to be a little harder on it with the less powerful engine. But then again it will also depend on your set up. Side note- I've been in one with a 500 and top speed was 75.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to post in the Fountain forum to get some more responses. 29 Fever is a nice boat; stable with a nice ride. If it were me running in the GOM, I'd be looking for a boat with twins... just sayin...

As for the 500EFI, it's a solid motor but will typically be paired with a Bravo I X, not an XR drive. You will see XR's with 525EFI's and 600SCi's. On the 500EFI, you want to be checking valve springs around 250-300 hours if the boat was not run WOT all the time, sooner if the boat was run harder. You should still seriously consider a 525 boat. The 525 is a solid engine and there's ways to manage the risk on the headers... flush and drain religiously, pressure test at least once per season; check spark plugs every so often for signs of water intrusion. The 525 is still a production engine while the 500EFI is not; the 525 dyno's higher than 525HP, I've heard some as high as 570HP. Resale value on the 525 will be higher than the 500 for sure and the 525 will be mated to an XR drive.

As for longevity, if you're diligent with maintenance, you can still keep a salt water boat in good condition. Try not to leave in the water overnight. Be VERY diligent with flushing the raw water cooling system after every use, 5-10 minutes minimum. You can also use salt-away when flushing and an engine guy I know recommends flushing a second time using the salt-away canister filled with WD40 to inhibit corrosion. Make sure you wash everything down...
Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

P.S. You should absolutely get the boat surveyed including compression and leak-down tests on the engine.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

500efi isnt fresh water cooled so you may want to add that if your salted all the time.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
You might want to post in the Fountain forum to get some more responses. 29 Fever is a nice boat; stable with a nice ride. If it were me running in the GOM, I'd be looking for a boat with twins... just sayin...

As for the 500EFI, it's a solid motor but will typically be paired with a Bravo I X, not an XR drive. You will see XR's with 525EFI's and 600SCi's. On the 500EFI, you want to be checking valve springs around 250-300 hours if the boat was not run WOT all the time, sooner if the boat was run harder. You should still seriously consider a 525 boat. The 525 is a solid engine and there's ways to manage the risk on the headers... flush and drain religiously, pressure test at least once per season; check spark plugs every so often for signs of water intrusion. The 525 is still a production engine while the 500EFI is not; the 525 dyno's higher than 525HP, I've heard some as high as 570HP. Resale value on the 525 will be higher than the 500 for sure and the 525 will be mated to an XR drive.

As for longevity, if you're diligent with maintenance, you can still keep a salt water boat in good condition. Try not to leave in the water overnight. Be VERY diligent with flushing the raw water cooling system after every use, 5-10 minutes minimum. You can also use salt-away when flushing and an engine guy I know recommends flushing a second time using the salt-away canister filled with WD40 to inhibit corrosion. Make sure you wash everything down...
Thanks. Twins a re a dog on this model... And twins sooooo not necessary in the GOM. I take my single CC 30-40 miles out all the time and never a problem with sea tow, or CG. It looks like a wal-mart parking lot most of the time on the reefs and wrecks at 20-30 miles out most days. This boat will never be out of sight of shore.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
P.S. You should absolutely get the boat surveyed including compression and leak-down tests on the engine.

Nice sled BTW
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

one thing about the 525,it has a closed cooling system and that,s a real plus in salt water.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

You might want to check this one out. Clean doesn't come close to describing it. BTW, the trailer shown in the pics is not what comes with the boat.

http://suttersmarina.com/boat/newest...tain-captivity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.