Outboard ignition, Stern drive, EFI sensors, ect. classes >

Outboard ignition, Stern drive, EFI sensors, ect. classes

Notices

Outboard ignition, Stern drive, EFI sensors, ect. classes

Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outboard ignition, Stern drive, EFI sensors, ect. classes

I know there are very few interested (specially outboards here) but figure I would pass this on.
These are some great classes and have been to alot of them already.
4 day Outboard Ignition class in Feb. in Alabama at CDI Also saw there having the class in other states too. I took this class and it is a great class if you want to learn about and how to fix outboard ignitions.
http://www.cdielectronics.com/ignition-service-school/

These are also some good one day classes in Daytona in Jan. that Amtech puts on at Wyotech school:
Alpha/Bravo sterndrives systems and servicing
Analyzing Sterndrive Failures
EFI Sensors: Function and Testing
Ect.

http://www.am-tech.org/templates/upl...4_brochure.pdf
http://www.am-tech.org/

You don't have to be a full time mechanic or work for a dealer to take these classes.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:03 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Joe are you going? I teach the Analyzing Sterndrive failure class. Its really more about the stock mercruiser black motor side and Volvo Penta motor side but there is topics about some performance stuff from the small % that we still see. I hate to say it but the classes get smaller and smaller every year because of the economy. I think we have close to a 100 attendees coming as of today. Years ago it use to be closed at this time because of too many attendees. Anyways we hang out after classes and talk shop, eat, drink, sleep and do it all over again the next day.

75 % of the attendees are from a true marine business and or marine dealership, 15 % attending are Wyo- tech students. Then the rest 10 % attendees are from ?. Anyways we have a small trade show also, Uflex, Bel Ray Oils, Amsoil, Sierra Marine aftermarket parts, Lehr propane outboards, CDI electronics, Stabil fuel treatments, champion Spark Plugs, Trying to get NGK spark plugs. Also some of these companies will be putting on free seminars that nite.

The location is at Wyo-tech campus Ormond beach Florida.

Last edited by BUP; 01-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

I have not been down to the classes at Wyotech in a few years as im not a real full time boat mechanic shop. Thats right I talked with you in spring I think it was. Sounds like the IO-303 class "Alpha Bravo Systems and Servicing" is tearing them down and rebuilding. Any idea? They did not have that class when I was down last time. Im actually suppose to be in Atlanta Thur-Sat.. (vacation) Then headed to FL that Sat night. Not sure I want to kill Sun. of vacation for a class, also 303 is not offered on Sunday.
Had some good times with the guys at Saint and Sinners after the classes. How long(years) have you been going?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 PM
BUP
Banned

Joe I know the guy who teaches the Alpha / Bravo class he is an X Mercruiser OEM instructor. Am-tech has been around since the late 90's, I have been involved with them since day one but this is my 4 th year instructing a class. Am-tech was started at that time by the owner of CDI electronics mainly for the outboard industry - both OEM and aftermarket. He sold CDI but still is the pres of Am-tech.

99% of the members work at or own a boat dealership or marina, some are a small marine shop and even one man repair shops. I understand your not a service shop but you are per say in the marine industry selling marine special tools. Anyways I did talk to you in the spring. I'll give you a call back tomorrow.

Also if anyone wants to check out what in the world we are talking about here, you can go to www.am-tech.org. I think we have about 700 marine techs as members. I do have say that it more so outboard related but there is a lot of I/O related topics & help on the forum. On the I/O side of the coin it is mainly Mercruiser the black motor side, Volvo Penta and Indmar related.

We have factory Yamaha support whether you are a Yamaha dealer of not or even a one man band. We have Merc repower support, again mostly black motor side. We had factory Volvo Penta and some of their OEM training but they stepped out last year. IMO poor boat sales, cut back budgets for their reason of dropping out.

As we all know the family rec I/O boats had really bad selling years since 2008 and getting worse the past 2 years except for wakeboard boats. I was a new boat dealer up till late 2012 and its not worth the hassle anymore nor the expense to bother with new boat sales unless you have Malibu Wakeboard boats and Yamaha Jetdrive boats as they are selling.

Last edited by BUP; 01-07-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM
BUP
Banned

I'll throw this out we also do a print magazine along with the same version online if anyone wants to read it we have 2 writers Bill G. and myself reporting some of the tech stuff. My first topic was about torque wrenches part 1 & 2 . Next story coming out and the magazine is very late is about props. Part 2 about props should have a special guest, if he sends me his info on time. Big hint he posts up here already so if he sees this post maybe he won't forget about me and the time frame.

Here is the info if anyone is interested reading a new magazine, keep in mind this is a free magazine so very hard to be big man on the block right out of the gate.

Click on www.am-tech.org then go to the upper right corner of the page and click on AMTECH magazine. Scroll down, then there will be links to open up the magazine. We started with the summer issue 2013, then fall 2013. So far, 4 magazines per year to start is the plan. Not that easy to do magazines in the current markets, especially free ones.

Last edited by BUP; 01-07-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Registered

BUP Got your Msg Im not going to make the classes. I will give you a shout tomorrow when I get some free time. You should start a new post/thread about the magazine.