Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do? >

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Notices

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is just sad that there seems like there are so many people out there that try and rape the go fast boaters... There are so many stories out there like this. I have always been lucky to have EB Marine here locally and it is just easy. I would've been in a ski boat years ago if I had to deal with crap like this! Heck me and Eric got along so well and he was such a good mechanic we are now partners

There are several good reputable people out there you just have to do your due diligence and find one and stick with them. If there is one thing I could say to anyone is find a good mechanic and build a relationship with him and then keep going back. Don't try and save $50 bucks with some shade tree POS that will tell you he is the best thing ever and nobody else has ever know how to build a motor but him. And then next thing you know you are this poor guy 18 months later with some DBag holding your stuff hostage. Like mentioned before, go to the machine shop and try and get your hands on your stuff and then go pick up your boat. I can guarantee there are several good folks in the area that can fix you up.

Why don't you just say hey... don't install my pro-charger! I want what we originally talked about and you gave me an estimate for since you have that written he doesn't have much to stand on and he should provide what was quoted. Then I could name you 5 people right now that could install your pro-charger for a lot less than that!!!!!

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you cant get the motor for 6k then simply walk away and find another one. it will be cheaper in the long run. there are lots of good motors for sale at very reasonable prices, it's a buyers market today. don't lose sleep over it, just get the ball rolling and make a decision before you lose another summer.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tajinate
Right, directly from what they told me an HP500 type setup which would be built ready to support a pro charger should I choose to go that route. I bought a complete pro charger kit M-1 for a carb setup and had it sent with the engine so it could be installed on the pro charger ready engine, and that is what they are making the price so high.
Originally Posted by Griff
Post the invoice break down of all charges.
Building a carbed engine with internals capable handling a prochrger is a lot less complex than actually building and tuning a procharged engine and doing all the rigging in the boat.
Bingo...
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and they got youre boat so u have to pay that bullchit .. mechanics lien .. legal theft
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
My last one for engines / dirves swapped and dyno. I already bought the engines and drives this was on top of that just rigging. Never been back. They were to busy after I paid the bill for a sea trial when I went to Pick it up too. Said they were waiting on a Skater customer to arrive and couldn't leave. Find them FXXK'em forget them should be on their shop wall. On top of all that My upholstery was all greased up, they forgot to put the seals between the drives and boxes and my bilge filled up with water sitting on the trailer at the launch warming up the engines first rattle out of the box. I could actually hear the water pouring in.

Labor $29,500 >>>$95.00/Hr X 310 Hrs. WTF? That's 38.75 days @ 8 Hrs a day

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515722[/ATTACH]

OH MY GOD!!
and too busy for a sea trial?? Wow!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You've mentioned the costs of rebuilding the engines but so far haven't mentioned what the mechanic is charging to r+r the engines from the boat. Is it possible this new amount includes both the mechanics labor and the machine shops labor? If not, that's likely to be the next issue you'll need to address.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I would like to see a invoice as well. scorpion racing engines built me 2 540s with everything new. Plus msd ignition, new carbs, intakes ,crossovers, thermostat housings, oil and ps coolers and hoses for under $19k. Story's like these make the drive from LOTO to Detroit a lot better
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll say it again..... What this country needs is a "Good Godfather"

3pointstar
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can assure you I would NOT have waited this long to sort this out. You have an uphill battle at this point .... What ya wanna bet there is a boat storage fee on the bill if it is at his place?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flat rate
I would like to see a invoice as well. scorpion racing engines built me 2 540s with everything new. Plus msd ignition, new carbs, intakes ,crossovers, thermostat housings, oil and ps coolers and hoses for under $19k. Story's like these make the drive from LOTO to Detroit a lot better
Frank is first class. Great guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.