Cheap, stable, reliable, BIG Cat? >

Cheap, stable, reliable, BIG Cat?

Notices

Cheap, stable, reliable, BIG Cat?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doc_texoma
that motion cat is pretty neat.. looks like maybe i just need to keep my eyes peeled.. really wish i had of had the funds to pick up that 1981 wellcraft cougar cat 900 that was for sale a year or two back... i think it probably ended up being a pretty healthy project - but what a rare and unique boat .. plus it had good cabin space..

thanks again for all the replies..
The Motion DOES look like a good deal, but you can't compare it to an '81 wellcraft. Might as well compare it to a Baja. Light years ahead. The new guy above is talking about running $2500 worth of gas through a boat in a weekend. You CAN'T run $2500 worth of gas out of that Motion in a weekend. My suggestion would be to take a trip and go test drive a couple of these boats to learn the differences.

Your statement of, "...want something bigger than just 5 people - possibly with cuddy's in the sponsons.. Don't want to wrench it anymore than I would a boat with a single 5.7 unmodded merc in it, and don't want to go over $20k for sure in purchasing..." makes me think you want 24+ foot vee performance, amenities and price, but in a cat, because you like the looks. That isn't going to leave you a lot of choices. I might suggest a 28 Profile cat, or maybe an older Eliminator or 26' American Offshore or the HTM in the classifieds, but all of those boats are going to be 5 seaters.

What you are describing simply doesn't exist. Don't kill the messenger.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmiller
I would be putting in race fuel
Why?...
Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Why?...
I honestly don't no lol. That's just what I had always been told. I guess I was wrong. But I would gladly be wrong if it saves me money? So it would be perfectly ok to run regular gas you get at any station
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Registered

I honestly don't no lol. That's just what I had always been told. I guess I was wrong. But I would gladly be wrong if it saves me money? So it would be perfectly ok to run regular gas you get at any station
I'm thinking you may wanna research that 388 purchase a little more. Just my .02.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Registered

There is a guy in Canada that is looking to rebuild and update a big cat for a customer. I know he is itching to get into a project. He will prob give you a real good deal. He uses new cutting edged technology that nobody else has to do fiberglass work. Look him up on here his name is DMAX315 I think.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XRated30 - Nah - no shooting the messenger at all... I wouldn't have posted the message publicly if I wasn't okay with getting responses that might be less than ideal compared to what I wanted to hear....

I will be dead honest - I really just think the "cat" form factor is gorgeous... I think it would be a very neat platform to party on... I could care less if the thing is fast, and as long as its safe I could care less about the handling to a point as well.. 50mph would be great... What I care more about is that there is enough space to party on it and that I could overnight on it..

It is very likely that a cat just won't make sense for what I am wanting and what I am wanting to spend.. If so thats totally fine.. I just wanted to get some feedback and see if those that obviously know more than me could give me any pointers on which way to look.. Its likely that going with the Chaparral Villain IV (30ft) or something like an Arriva 2450 or a Larson Senza Spectre 25 might be the way I need to go and just forget about cats..

I saw a guy in a Aronow 39 at Lake Texoma - my lake - a few years ago... The thing just seemed HUGE and he had like 10 people partying on it... I guess after seeing that I sort of got interested in them...

As always - thanks for all of the responses!
Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

What you want does not exist for the budget you set.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I think you've got it all figured out - I'd jump right in
Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
There is a guy in Canada that is looking to rebuild and update a big cat for a customer. I know he is itching to get into a project. He will prob give you a real good deal. He uses new cutting edged technology that nobody else has to do fiberglass work. Look him up on here his name is DMAX315 I think.
I thought DMAX315 was in the North East USA ( Jersey maybe??) but the boat is def. at Double R here in Canada.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone wants a big cat and they usually have no idea what is required to afford the beast. Fuel is the cheapest part of ownership. A 388 Skater is a dream for many, myself included, probably out of my purchase power however so we settle for the best cat that we can afford. A 50 m.p.h. Cat would be a turd to drive so maybe a pontoon boat would be more your style. Lots of room to party and maybe even a barbecue grill. Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.