Trim Switch For Offshore Controls >

Trim Switch For Offshore Controls

Notices

Trim Switch For Offshore Controls

Old 01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Switch For Offshore Controls

Ok so I have a set of the kheikhafer controls in my boat, my boat is a single engine, 92 24 Outlaw to be exact. I am doing alot of updating and cosmetic things to just make the boat look good like what we all like to do, and have been really torn between redoing my existing controls or getting a new livorsi set. As a happy medium I decided I'll grab a set of factory white ones with the trim switch built in like alot of the late 90's and on boats came with, so have been on the look out for them, but haven't been able to get ahold of a set. So after probably 2 months of going back an forth I decide screw it, im just goint to redo my controls. Now my controls do have the add on rex marine trim switch, it was peeling as well, and due to almost all of the little tiny headed allen keys holding it on being striped I couldn't get it off (switch was on when i bought the boat). So I do some looking and find rex marines site and decide hey I can just order a new one, so I'll just cut this one off as it needs to be off in order to powder coat. So I take the controls apart to take down for new powdercoat, cut the trim switch off, and drop off the controls for powdercoat saturday morning. I give rex marine a call today and BOOM, they don't make them anymore, and don't have any left.

So now I can't get ahold of this rex marine trim switch for the throttle lever, so I am trying to find a solution for adding the trim switch to my throttle. I called livorsi as rex marine said they may have some, but they didn't, and they said try Merc. I tried them, and they said I could probably piece the one that comes in there zero effort controls (essentially the same controls), but have to go to a merc dealer to do anything further to order anything.

Basically I am looking for an option of a trim switch I can add onto my throttle, anyone have any ideas of where I can get such a unicorn?

Last edited by ealesh33; 01-06-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was planning on adding them to mine. Thought they were still available. Let you know if I find some. I may make my own out of some micro switches.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

#'s 2,3,4,5,6, and 9 if for tabs. If just for drive, then #9 not needed.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...%2C+Components

I added the switch to my Kieks
Attached Thumbnails Trim Switch For Offshore Controls-shifter2.jpg   Trim Switch For Offshore Controls-shifter1.jpg  

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm watching this thread closely. I just added the Kiekhiefer Zero Effort Dual Control to my 255 Formula and would love to retro the switches if they are actually available. Give Marc Berman a call at BAM...if they're available he will know.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

heres a nice cheap way to do it ive done many like this.the older zero efforts without trim in handle can be converted easily .there is 2 screws under the cover on the throttle where the trim would go .remove those and drill a hole for the wires on the new switch to run down .i usually use a piece of black shrink tube and a small tie wrap to keep it in place.any ways the switch is on ebay great lakes skipper has em ive done many this way

ebay item # 400637260928

Last edited by smokin' gun; 01-06-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
#'s 2,3,4,5,6, and 9 if for tabs. If just for drive, then #9 not needed.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...%2C+Components

I added the switch to my Kieks
I actually spoke to CPPerformance and asked them about this after I had posted this and they gave me the part numbers as well. Awesome to get input from someone that did it and it fits perfect.

Question for you though, the wire harness says not sold seperate, how did you get the wire harness? Did you have to solder your own connections to the actual switch?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
heres a nice cheap way to do it ive done many like this.the older zero efforts without trim in handle can be converted easily .there is 2 screws under the cover on the throttle where the trim would go .remove those and drill a hole for the wires on the new switch to run down .i usually use a piece of black shrink tube and a small tie wrap to keep it in place.any ways the switch is on ebay great lakes skipper has em ive done many this way

ebay item # 400637260928
I saw this a while back when I was first looking but was just set on buying a new set or using rex marine. So i did a search earlier and relocated them. I actually like these and called today to make sure they were available, my issue with them, and may sound stupid to some, but is that they say formula on them. I am considering this switch though.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
I'm watching this thread closely. I just added the Kiekhiefer Zero Effort Dual Control to my 255 Formula and would love to retro the switches if they are actually available. Give Marc Berman a call at BAM...if they're available he will know.[IMG][/IMG]
I actually contacted Marc, but I freaking hate email. It drives me absolutely nuts to email, and it takes 2 to 3 days to get answers to my questions. I am not the most patient person LOL. I couldn't find a number to reach him, but I will admit I didn't spend a ton of time looking. I emailed him probably mid afternoon, and I did get a response but it was at the end of the day. I sent back some questions so I guess we will be back at it tomorrow. Looking to iron this out farely quickly cause for some crazy reason I just want the projects to be done and my boat be ready for spring. Its the patience thing again lol. I am actually surprised I kept it together for the past 3 months working on the projects lol
Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check to see if this one is still available? http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Th...imSwitches.htm
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by ealesh33
I actually spoke to CPPerformance and asked them about this after I had posted this and they gave me the part numbers as well. Awesome to get input from someone that did it and it fits perfect.

Question for you though, the wire harness says not sold seperate, how did you get the wire harness? Did you have to solder your own connections to the actual switch?
It's been over 10 yrs since I did that mod, but I believe I just bought some small wire, and then yes, soldered to the switch and ran thru the tube, down into the shifter base to be connected under the dash to the dash switches. This was for the tabs, so I needed the diode harness,#9 (x2) also. The tube for the wires I think was just brake tubing. I drilled a hole in the shifter knob base for tube to slip into for the wires to pass thru, and fastened the tube to the lever base. Or as smok'n gun mentioned, just use shrink wrap. I tried to copy the look of the factory levers, thus with the tube

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-06-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.