Notices

Bravo 1 Top Mount Starter

Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 Top Mount Starter

Does anyone know if they make a top mount starter bell housing for a Bravo 1 setup ?? If so does it use the same starter as the TRS units did ?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wish.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

I asked them same thing a few months ago. Was told no go . Not enough room. I had a broken starter mounting bolt. Ended up having to pull the motor out and send to a shop to get it removed end repaired.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

yep that was TRS only stuff, without the trans there isnt enough room. I wonder if a bell housing could be developed for the newer smaller starters, wonder if theres enough room for that.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I,m having sort of the same problem here ,the engine I,m busy with is a Olds DRCE1 Aluminium , the starter mount is not cast in to the block .
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
yep that was TRS only stuff, without the trans there isnt enough room. I wonder if a bell housing could be developed for the newer smaller starters, wonder if theres enough room for that.
I could do that. But, it takes lots of money to get it done. If you go cast, most likely, molds would start at around 25k per set min. That is if not much rework is to be done. You could go billet, but I don't think anyone would want to pay for that either, lots of waste, lots of machine work.
From the engineering side it gets costly to get the stress and thermo done as well. Not everyone has a 100k worth of software laying around.
Someone should have brought this up last year when I had permission to do personal projects at Piper. Contracts done now though.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess you are limited to transmission applications like TRS, speedys, or surface drives. unless an accessory belt driven starter could be devised. ok, what about a really talented alum welder. could somebody sit down with a velvet drive and a bravo flywheel cover and section the 2 of them together? could use 2 bell-housing to engine bolt holes as alignment points. of course first ya need to build a shorty starter into an old top mount starter nose and see if it fits between engine and transom...everything is possible with enough time, determination and money. doesn't mean it is a good idea.