Notices

Interior Vinyl Question?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Vinyl Question?

I've noticed 3 spots this past season on my rear sundeck that may need attention. One is just the stitching coming apart but the other two are small tears. My question is what to do about it? Can the tears it be fixed without totally redoing and still look good? I don't want it to looked patched. I'm assuming the entire vinyl piece would have to come off to do the restitching. So if the piece is off anyway would it be just as cost effective to go ahead and replace the colored sections with new where the tears are?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to say the only way is to replace it. never had any luck with repairs all the thread is rotting and going to break the rips will get worse glue will help for a season
Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Registered

That's what I was afraid of.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

If you dont have any local shops around you, get in touch with XT Innovations in Bucyrus Ohio. They are the old Baja people and do restorations now. Plan on using them to replace the vinyl on my engine hatch. the stitching really let go this last season.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

Yeah I've seen some of their (XT) work on here and it looks really good. There is a local shop that I've used once before to make a cover for a throttle pod I built that seems to be pretty good too. I'll probably talk to both them and XT to see how they compare in price when I get ready have it fixed. I got no problem in pulling the vinyl off the hatch and sending it to someone to do the work if that's what it takes to it done right.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
If you dont have any local shops around you, get in touch with XT Innovations in Bucyrus Ohio. They are the old Baja people and do restorations now. Plan on using them to replace the vinyl on my engine hatch. the stitching really let go this last season.
Roll, thanks for the post!

Vindicator, most of the time it is not worth removing a skin just to make a small stitch repair on the backside. You can do more damage just from removing it and installing again. This year it might be just the one small spot the thread is rotted, but it is going to gradually get worse and in other areas. Did VIP use black thread like in the photos, or is that white with dirt and rot? Try using a little super glue and pinch it together even if you have to use needle nose pliers to hold it as it drys pretty quick. Another trick we used to do was mix gelcoat colors with clear, or white sylicone. You could probably do the same with a matching paint for the purple, and yellow tear. Just mask off all but the small tear and mix the sylicone on a piece of cardboard and use a toothpick to fill the tear. This might gain you a couple more seasons while you start a savings for the complete redo that will eventually need done. Plan on removing the interior as soon as the season is over no matter who you have do the work.

I have no problem getting you a price to redo the engine hatch, but keep in mind the vinyls will not match unless you are ready to do the entire cockpit this season. I also have the issue of the 14 boats ahead of this that have to be back on the water in April.

XT
[email protected]

Last edited by XT-Innovator; 01-20-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Roll, thanks for the post!

Vindicator, most of the time it is not worth removing a skin just to make a small stitch repair on the backside. You can do more damage just from removing it and installing again. This year it might be just the one small spot the thread is rotted, but it is going to gradually get worse and in other areas. Did VIP use black thread like in the photos, or is that white with dirt and rot? Try using a little super glue and pinch it together even if you have to use needle nose pliers to hold it as it drys pretty quick. Another trick we used to do was mix gelcoat colors with clear, or white sylicone. You could probably do the same with a matching paint for the purple, and yellow tear. Just mask off all but the small tear and mix the sylicone on a piece of cardboard and use a toothpick to fill the tear. This might gain you a couple more seasons while you start a savings for the complete redo that will eventually need done. Plan on removing the interior as soon as the season is over no matter who you have do the work.

I have no problem getting you a price to redo the engine hatch, but keep in mind the vinyls will not match unless you are ready to do the entire cockpit this season. I also have the issue of the 14 boats ahead of this that have to be back on the water in April.

XT
[email protected]
XT, thanks for all the good info. The stitching is actually white or should be anyway, it's just dingy. Can't seem to keep it bright white. That's probably part of the reason it's coming apart because I'm scrubbing on it all the time but to no avail. I'll give your tips a try to get me through next season and then go from there I guess.