Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is 3d printing the next evolution in boat building? >

Is 3d printing the next evolution in boat building?

Notices

Is 3d printing the next evolution in boat building?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 3d printing the next evolution in boat building?

3D printing has hit mainstream over the past few years and while I've kept a more level-headed view on just how 'revolutionary' it is, I think it's very interesting from a boat manufacturing perspective. While there are those of us who expect boat building to remain fairly 'old-school' there are some valid points to shifting a substantial portion of production to printing for these reasons:
  1. Cost
  2. Efficiency
  3. Quality Control
  4. Design (non-obvious)

The main idea behind 3d printing is that it can produce structures that would too difficult/impossible to create using traditional methods. This alone would accelerate boat design in the next few years. What do you guys think? Are there any manufacturers experimenting?

3D printing or Additive manufacturing is a process of making a three-dimensional solid object of virtually any shape from a digital model. 3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDqxt3CF4Zg
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will definitely help at the design/prototype stage but full scale will have to be made the same.