Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best high performance life vests? >

Best high performance life vests?

Notices

Best high performance life vests?

Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

The inflatables are designed for drunk fishermen falling off their boats. Do not forget the impact of hitting the water at 70+ mph. I have heard horror stories of what the inflatable belt can do to a body in a high speed impact. Ask yourself one simple question. How much is your life worth? Get the Lifelines.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey all…1st post..longtime lurker etc etc etc

1st - keep in mind that Lifeline jackets aren't USCG approved (or didn't used to be) so you'll still need the "correct" stuff in the boat to be legal.

2nd - I still have Lifeline chute jackets that I used in another life. Hold a Lifeline jacket next to an Americas Cup or other "100 mph" jacket and tell me which one you'd rather be wearing if the feces hit the rotary impeller and you got out of - or got bounced around in - the boat at high speed.

Security Race Products (SRP) also makes a similar product but I don't know anything about them.

We throw a ton of $$'s chasing that last few mph, don't skimp on safety stuff…the difference in price between them doesn't even add up to a good weekend's worth of fuel.

Just my .02 & your mileage may vary.

Cheers

S
Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

We live in an area where we get inspected all the time by Coast Guard and Sheriff's dept. If you are wearing a Lifeline (or SRP) they do not ask about other jackets. In fact they applaud us for wearing jackets. I would carry the orange five dollar versions in storage just in case.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
We live in an area where we get inspected all the time by Coast Guard and Sheriff's dept. If you are wearing a Lifeline (or SRP) they do not ask about other jackets. In fact they applaud us for wearing jackets. I would carry the orange five dollar versions in storage just in case.
Agreed...it would take the wrong cop / wrong day / wrong location to hassle you about the Lifeline you're wearing not being USCG...but...it can happen.

Grand Haven Mi is notorious for "nitpicky" stuff ESPECIALLY if you aren't driving a fisher or cruiser.

I had customers with me in Grand Haven and was stopped and safety checked while we were demonstrating the boat to them. We were good, but the cop - sheriff, not USCG - was giving us a hard time about how we had our dealer tags mounted to the boat. It finally got to the point that I told him "Write your ticket. I can find the courthouse and we'll let the judge give us his interpretation of permanently affixed". No ticket written but he definitely was looking for an excuse to hassle someone & there's not a doubt in my mind that he would ticket you for not having a USCG approved vest aboard even if you were wearing a LIfeline.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with 6 Lifeline Jackets, my passengers safety and mine to me is well worth spending the money. And if I ever did get stopped I do have 6 West Marine inflatables.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drejustice
I have lifelines for the wife and myself and I also recently got a few of these jetpilots for passengers since the lifelines are usually made based upon specific individual measurements and the jetpilots are a bit more adjustable. I did reach out to them about their jackets and this was the official response from Sport Dimension who makes them.

"The two vest that we currently carry inline that have a 100mph rating are the #JP3212 Apex S/E Approved Nylon PFD and the #JP3214 Strike Nylon Approved PFD. Please know that even though these vests do carry a 100mph rating, they will not prevent injury or death at high speeds. "
I would be interested to see lifelines answer to " will your vest prevent injury or death at high speeds. I'm not saying they are not the best, but any company that will tell you they will stop injury or death is just waiting to be sued!!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boating37
I went with 6 Lifeline Jackets, my passengers safety and mine to me is well worth spending the money. And if I ever did get stopped I do have 6 West Marine inflatables.
Thats exactly how I looked at it. The difference in price as someone else said, is a tank or two of gas. We spend truckloads of $$ chasing performance... your safety and that of your passengers should be worth it. I carry the USCG approved vests as well..
Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Lifeline's also....carry the orange cheapies just in case.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lifelines are only way to go if your running Poker Runs. Spend the $ you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

When I raced P4 we wore the orange race Lifeines. Agree it is worth every penny! The Lifeline poker run personel jacket is a nice life jacket but no where the impact protection of the race jacket and I think way overpriced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.