Notices

Fountain vs Sutphen

Old 02-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Having been on an A-boat race team during that era, the Heartbeat Fountain was the boat to beat. Fountain was also quickly becoming the boat to beat in a lot of other classes as well. The Factory boat and Ohio Steel really shook up the big V guys when they came along.
Tom, do you know if there's a difference in the layup on older Fountains compared to the newer ones with foam core? My buddy has a 98 35 and it beats you up pretty good in 3-4 footers without trimming down. Riding in a 38 or even better, in a 42 is night and day in rough water.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I am not a Fountain guy, so I really couldn't tell you. Just based on 80/early 90's boat building, they probably were heavier than now.

I have been on a lot of V bottom boats that were FAST but rode like crap. I am not sure how these guys were at the end of a race, but they always seemed to be out front.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Strange thing when my 32 is beating you up at 50 if you speed up to 70 it doesn't.

And I have not seen any stress cracks at the steps on any of the :2's I looked at. They do where the engine bay side scoop is molded in. Not surprising.

Btw

Just to be clear I don't mean in water like those are running in. Just in general.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Strange thing when my 32 is beating you up at 50 if you speed up to 70 it doesn't.

And I have not seen any stress cracks at the steps on any of the :2's I looked at. They do where the engine bay side scoop is molded in. Not surprising.

My buddy's 35 doesn't show stress cracks outside the hull but does in the floor where the cabin door entry is so must be some flexing in that area.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by spectras only
Tom, do you know if there's a difference in the layup on older Fountains compared to the newer ones with foam core? My buddy has a 98 35 and it beats you up pretty good in 3-4 footers without trimming down. Riding in a 38 or even better, in a 42 is night and day in rough water.
I do know that at one point, Reggie supposedly stopped using Balsacore in the bottoms due to "shear failure" along the end grain. (A friend of mine had that very failure in his 1989 29' Fountain - but he beat the crap out of that boat.)

As far as the difference in ride between a 35', 38' and 42' Fountain - they all have 23 degree deadrise bottoms. I'd say the difference in ride is more due to weight and length than anything else. And yes, a 42' rides like a dream in almost anything, but compared to a Cig or Apache, it's not that great of a really "big water" boat.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it a little unfair to compare any boat at least not on par length wise to a Cig or apache? No 32 on earth is going to ride like a 41 in any sort of snotty water. Same holds true for a 32 vs a 38 topgun... Just my $.02 so probably not worth mentioning.

In other news, the run between heartbeat and buckshot is sick. I have got to believe that it comes down to set up and driving at that point. Part of the reason the fountain seems to run a bit faster, is it keeps it's props in the water more. Driver or setup, I don't know. But that racing is ballsy!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

the vfountain never lifted off the throttles...suftin did...
Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by spectras only
My buddy's 35 doesn't show stress cracks outside the hull but does in the floor where the cabin door entry is so must be some flexing in that area.
Ya both the ones I saw had then right where the step is on the outside.... One was bad the other not so much but I could see it.

Ibam no fountain hater (would love a 42 lightning) but when I was picking up a boat then, it was enough to make me move on.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy
In other news, the run between heartbeat and buckshot is sick. I have got to believe that it comes down to set up and driving at that point. Part of the reason the fountain seems to run a bit faster, is it keeps it's props in the water more. Driver or setup, I don't know. But that racing is ballsy!
I agree great racing! You just don't see that much anymore. i sure miss the days of Factory racing being on Speed.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Fountains suck in rough water.

Fixed it for ya!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.