Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Outerlimits Launching Assault On V-bottom Kilo Record >

Outerlimits Launching Assault On V-bottom Kilo Record

Notices

Outerlimits Launching Assault On V-bottom Kilo Record

Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Nothing like cannon fodder for the silly season....

Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Without getting into a pissing match here are real world issues. This has to be apples to apples.

1. Just like "inflation" and the 171 speed record - shouldnt this be more like 180 MPH to win due to advancements in materials and technology? 172 MPH might beat the record, but did it really break the RECORD.

2. The Fountain 42 is really a purpose built 39, so if OL can do it in a 43 that is based on a production boat, where are we?

3. I'm just guessing but the 171MPH 1550 Sterlings might have been more than 1550.

4. Reggie should be able to do a pre-record run inspection LOL

I forget fountain is the only one that can't count a molded swim platform (42 is a 39). How is your 342 (32 ft) Baja running with the 600 HP Raylar (525 HP) engines?

The record had nothing to do with HP, or size. Get in a V hull and break it, simple right??

Take a look at this image and let me know where the transom stops on the 43 ft LOA OL? Get some new material, or petition the coast guard to measure boats in a different way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518335[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Outerlimits Launching Assault On V-bottom Kilo Record-dsc00872.jpg  

Last edited by 4bus; 02-10-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just make sure you are going old-school with your popcorn. I would not want reading OSO to ultimately result in cancer.
No, I'm not joking.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40070...rn-Threat.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/039970_ca...cinogens.html#
http://foodbabe.com/2013/11/12/microwave-popcorn/
You do realize that sommerfliesby bought his AT base on the fact that he could make popcorn in a true offshore boat......this is devastating news
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Interesting insight—to me anyway—on how message boards work. This thread has more than 8,000 views. Roughly 2,000 people have actually read the news story.

Carry on, gentlemen.
I read the story and I understand the logistics of such a thing, however I fail to see what it will prove. OL is a great boat which was more than obvious by what they did at LOTO. I just don't see the value of chasing a 10-year old record that no-one has bothered with much (except Cig) and is pretty much a foregone conclusion that you will met you goal. With no competition, I don't think the value of being able to say it is worth the effort. I really think it would be interesting to see some of the more serious V-builders have comparable models with the same power and options compete. If I were in the position to piss away $500K or more on a boat, knowing which one is the best as compared to the other two would carry a lot of weight in my decision. Knowing the same boat went 800 mph with big huge power wouldn't.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bus
You do realize that sommerfliesby bought his AT base on the fact that he could make popcorn in a true offshore boat......this is devastating news
Ahahahahahaha! Well played sir!

Oh S$IT....does this mean I'm gonna get cancer? Well that's no fun....
Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamjoe
I read the story and I understand the logistics of such a thing, however I fail to see what it will prove. OL is a great boat which was more than obvious by what they did at LOTO. I just don't see the value of chasing a 10-year old record that no-one has bothered with much (except Cig) and is pretty much a foregone conclusion that you will met you goal. With no competition, I don't think the value of being able to say it is worth the effort. I really think it would be interesting to see some of the more serious V-builders have comparable models with the same power and options compete. If I were in the position to piss away $500K or more on a boat, knowing which one is the best as compared to the other two would carry a lot of weight in my decision. Knowing the same boat went 800 mph with big huge power wouldn't.

Because its a RECORD.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by machloosy
I read it dammit

And whoever got the popcorn out, we need more...
Got ya covered!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iamjoe

did you play any competitive sports when you were young? LOL

records are meant to be broken. it's called progress
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Interesting insight—to me anyway—on how message boards work. This thread has more than 8,000 views. Roughly 2,000 people have actually read the news story.

Carry on, gentlemen.
The 8000 views vs 2000 views is because the same people keep are viewing this thread multiple times to see what gets posted next.

Excellent article as always Matt.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
did you play any competitive sports when you were young? LOL

records are meant to be broken. it's called progress
Progress,,,, Years ago we ate in the house and chit outside, Today we eat outside and well you know the rest..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.