Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives? >

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Notices

When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Well, when you can tell me that the prop's for an Arneson cost more than the prop's for a Merc, Bravo, #2,3,4,5, NXT, 6 or M8 then you would have a valid point but until then I can't see why you would say this as the same propellers fit the Arnesons that fit the Merc's. Even the IMCO use's the same Speedmaster prop's and no one mentions that.
Are folks running Bravo 1's or Maximus style props on Arneson's? I didn't know they were designed for true surfacing applications?

SCX from what I know you have an option to run a Bravo or SSM prop. So I guess depending on your X dimension a person would chose one or the other?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
A lab finish Maximus prop is 1700 bucks per prop. Hering bravo style 1700 each. A bravo 4 blade lab finished is under 1000 per prop. A CNC Merc Cleaver is 5,000-6000 per prop. Same for hering unless you go to the Forged hering, than double that, to around 10-12k per prop. .
I wouldn't waste the money on labbed this and labbed that. One soft grounding (we all anchor up at the local sandbars) and they're junk. For the couple MPH you get and loose in cruise speed, I just don't see the value. Over time the labbed props lose their trueness as well.

The biggest difference is, if you do hit a log on Saturday afternoon, chances are on Sunday morning you can pick up a prop from the local Merc dealer. If you do that with a SSM you better have a spare or know a lot of local friends willing to lend you some high dollar props for the day.

These comparisons don't seem logical.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 4,354 Likes on 1,248 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

Curious if anyone has ran XZ gears in an XR with success? They are nearly half the price and are helical cut

That be a negative (In a 25' boat) Cryoed, set up by Mr. gadgets, lasted about 20 hrs.

Bravo drive is like a 10 bolt rear end , no matter what magic potion you try in the end the gears are too small .. so you step up to the 12 bolt or 9 inch and go racing. Too bad that step in boating is 100x the price

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-21-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Is that blood on the gear? LOL

I've made my XR's bleed several times...
Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I wouldn't waste the money on labbed this and labbed that. One soft grounding (we all anchor up at the local sandbars) and they're junk. For the couple MPH you get and loose in cruise speed, I just don't see the value. Over time the labbed props lose their trueness as well.

The biggest difference is, if you do hit a log on Saturday afternoon, chances are on Sunday morning you can pick up a prop from the local Merc dealer. If you do that with a SSM you better have a spare or know a lot of local friends willing to lend you some high dollar props for the day.

I agree with ya. I was responding to Riks question of ''How much a labbed XR prop costed new'' compared to a ASD/SSM style prop.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference with IMCO's MCX drive vs the SCT that is on my boat. Just curious and this was a very good thread I learned a lot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519069[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails When an XR drive is not enough, is there any other options other than #6 drives?-image.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisL
What is the difference with IMCO's MCX drive vs the SCT that is on my boat. Just curious and this was a very good thread I learned a lot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519069[/ATTACH]
You learned a lot? I learned that my boat needs $60,000 before it's right. Quite depressing
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You guys do realize this is the longest winter thread with no bickering and fighting ever right??
Hey check it out I found a deal on a new speedo for your cig

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monterey-Boa...ht_4189wt_1251

Last edited by mcprodesign; 02-21-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther

Yeap, get a set of stockers to run. Also have a set of Custom or factory labbed props for spares and shootouts. That's what I run. If you loan a stock prop to a guy and it comes back chipped and rust in the hub from leaving salt water in it you can just request a new one
Old 02-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Hey check it out I found a deal on a new speedo for your cig

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monterey-Boa...ht_4189wt_1251
And if he runs a smaller diameter hose with more pressure he will be able to pin it at 65 to impress the ladies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.