First Impression: Sunsation 29 CCX >

First Impression: Sunsation 29 CCX

Notices

First Impression: Sunsation 29 CCX

Old 08-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
I had a chance to sea trial a new demo 29CCX with 250's on Lake St Claire two seasons ago that Unriehl had launched for me. Joe also showed up. Really great guys. The boat is well thought out and rock solid in the rough with some nifty storage and the fold down aft bench. Only negative is they are still using wood in the build but can't deny they are making some awesome looking and performing CC's.
Ing, it's a great boat and honestly really starting to have second thoughts about selling it but I've got to correct you in your comment above and let you and everyone else know that all of the Sunsation CCX's (29, 32 and 34) are 100% WOOD-FREE construction throughout.

I know this for a fact as it was the biggest reason in my not purchasing a 2007 Fountain Center Console for a similar price as my 29 CCX. I must of asked every single person at Sunsation when I went to the factory prior to my purchase regarding the "wood free" construction that Jeff had assured was the case. I can say for a fact that the 29 CCX was always 100% wood free from the day it was introduced. They did continue to use wood in their offshore racer models (288, 32, 36) for the 2 year production overlap of the CCX but the CCX versions were always made with foam core stringers, transom and decking.

Wayne's comment "we could use wood but the center console market won't allow it. No one would buy a center console with any wood in it's construction these day's".

Cheers,
Chris
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
There's no problem with wood if the build is good, in fact I'd prefer it.
Sorry, Indy but all the Sunsation center console models are 100% foam construction throughout. The center console market made that switch official back in 2010. I'd never personally own an open self bailing boat design like a center console with any wood in it. You're guaranteeing rot at some point.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Registered

So I called Jeff Riehl and Joe at Sunsation as a sanity check on it's wood free construction and they re-confirmed that my 29CCX along with every other CCX in existence across the entire line is and always constructed using high density marine grade foam throughout. Everything from the stringers, transom, decking and hull is 100% WOOD FREE.

The high density marine grade foam is actually lighter than wood and twice as stiff. It really is impressive material and at first glance it looks like wood (when touched feels harder/more dense) but make no mistake about it is in fact 20lb pcf density marine grade foam. They have it all over their shop so I would encourage you to see for yourselves.

For anyone reading this that is looking at or considering a 29CCX, 32CCX or 34CCX that they will never rot or delaminate as there is not a single piece of wood to be found anywhere.

As a final fact to drive home and squash any misinformation floating out there....I had Jeff and Joe throw in a lifetime warranty on my hull, transom and overall construction and 5 year engine warranty as part of my purchase agreement. It's amazing what you can get if you just ask

Cheers,
Chris